Chapter eleven

"So how's hospital life?" I ask Lacey, trying to lighten the mood. She shakes her head but smiles. "Fine. You know, three meals a day, five star service. I would definitely visit twice." It wasn't that funny, but we both cracked up. I think it's because if we weren't laughing, we'd be crying. "So what about James, are you guys finally together yet?" "What?" I ask, nervous I would have to ruin this with the James story and surprised she would say something like that. "You didn't see? Geez you're clueless, look over all the footage. You'll see something, everyone else does." She started chuckling. I smiled but I knew she could tell it was fake. "Wait... Oh my god is he dead?" I shake my head but then shrug. "What happened?" Lace's smile has now faded. "He got kidnapped... The guys that shot up our school realized shooting up a school wouldn't work to get what they wanted and decided to steal a hostage. They someone got out,
And now no one knows where they are." I realize I started to cry. Lace stays quiet. "I'm sorry." She finally whispers. "I feel useless, not being able to help." I say, my mouth moving before I can register what I'm saying. "I don't want you to get hurt." "And I don't want James to die without be at least trying to do something," I say, "I would never forgive myself." Lace breathes in sharply. "This isn't your fault." "If I hadn't had us leave the room, he may still be here." Lace looked at me with wide eyes. "If you didn't step up and have us move out of the small cramped room, we might have all died in there." I looked down. I knew she was right, so many other kids died in their classrooms. We were the lucky ones.
After I left Lacey's room, I knew I should be getting home, it was almost sunrise. My parents would be waking up soon and if I didn't want to get rounded forever, I needed to get back. The problem was, I didn't know where Wendall was. He was probably still with Wes. I couldn't stand to see him again, it was too painful. But I started towards his room anyway. Before I could get there, I heard my name called. I turn around to see my mom and dad standing in the doorway. Suddenly I couldn't take it anymore, and I broke down.
I realized how terrible everything that happened to us was. I realized I had been shot, my best friends were dying. I realized I may never see James ever again. I fell down onto the hospital ground and things started to go black. Oh no, not again.

I woke up in a hospital bed. "What happened?" I ask, but no one is there. I try to get up, but restraints are on my wrists and legs. I pull at them more. "Hey!" I call. "Hey! Let me out!" Doctors come rushing into my room.
More than usual. "You fainted darling." My mom is suddenly on the right side of me. "Why am I restrained?" I ask.
"You were screaming and moving in your sleep." She says, still smiling.
"Honey, how much sleep have you gotten lately?" Dad is on my left side. I think for a moment. I decide to tell the truth. "Maybe six hours..." I see the doctors all turn to their clipboards.
I gulp and continue, "this week." The doctor I had before nods his head. "That makes sense. You need to sleep, I'll give you a sedative. You're going to have to stay here for a while to recover better." I start to push against the restraints more. "No! No, please no. We need to find James let me go! Mom help!" She shakes her head and steps away from my bed. "Mom?" I ask again, this time defeated. She mouths the words, 'I'm sorry.' And leaves me.