Chapter 16

“So you do own a dress.”

            Val turned and raised an eyebrow in Darren’s direction. “I own several.”

            The prince grinned. Looking at them again, he noticed that all of them were carrying large bags instead of their usual purses. Val was also holding a scuffed blue cooler in both hands. “Where are you ladies off to?”

            “The beach,” Francoise replied instantly. “Hey, why don’t you join us?”

            “Valerie?” Darren asked.

            She chuckled. “I love how the one time you ask for permission is the time we’re going to a public beach.” When he continued to hesitate, she made a face. “Of course you can come, idiot. Though without bathing suits you’ll be stuck on the sand.”

            Jodie rolled her eyes. “They sell bathing suits at the beach house. I’m sure they can find some. Now come on, we’re losing prime tanning time.”
            “You’re wearing SPF 15. You’re not going to tan much,” Val pointed out.

            “That’s why I can’t waste a single moment. And don’t tell me to lay off the sunscreen. I happen to like my skin cancer-free.”

            Valerie grinned. “I wasn’t going to say a word.”

            “Hmph.”

            Darren, who’d fallen into step beside Val, chose that moment to cut in. “May I carry that for you?” He asked, pointing at the cooler.

            She looked up at him and shrugged. “It’s heavy.”

            “I’m sure I’ll manage.”

            “Alright then.” Darren took it, his arms jerking forward momentarily as he felt the full weight of the thing. “What’s in here?”

            “Drinks, snacks and our lunches. There’s plenty so we can feed you lot as well.”

            The prince looked at his two companions. Erramun was listening to Jodie’s chatter while Lyel looked quite intent on the conversation he, Francoise and Naomi were having. “Thank you. How’s your arm?”

            Valerie laughed. “It’s fine. Just a bruise. And really, it was my own fault for twisting like that during our match. I get enough of them and eventually I’ll remember that the angle a sword is held at can easily be changed.”

            “Still I should have-”

            She cut him off. “If you start beating yourself up about it, I will beat you using my fists. Honestly. It’s better a bruise now than a cut later.”

            Darren let it drop, partly because he knew she would hit him, and partly because they’d reached their destination. Coming out on the top of the hill that loomed over the beach, they could see that they weren’t the only ones who’d had a similar idea. The beach was already covered in a rainbow assortment of towels and umbrellas with the odd sprinkling of chairs and pool toys thrown in.

            The water itself was a deep blue, lightening where it lapped at the sandy shore. They could hear shouting, laughter and splashing even from where they were. A light breeze rolled over them, bringing with it the light scent of water and hot sand. Francoise looked at them for a moment, then grinning widely, yelled “Charge!”