Cinderella vs. Prince Charming

Prince Darren wrinkled his nose at the smell of sweat, too much perfume, spilled beer and sweat that filled the nightclub. His nose was finding it much harder to adjust to this world than he’d imagined possible. He could only barely see the faces of both of his companions in the semi-darkness that was lit mostly by flashing lights. Lyel, his best friend, was frowning, the crease of his brows shouting his unhappiness. Standing behind him, Darren’s bodyguard Erramun looked uncomfortable where he stood guarding their corner couch, one of several that stood along the wall on the street side of the building.

“This is a waste of our time,” Lyel said, shaking his head, which only made his brown hair slide farther into his eyes. He swept it away impatiently, his focus on Darren. “You have not been able to find her beyond knowing she is in this town.”

Darren shrugged and rubbed the back of his neck, his blue gaze flicking about the room again. It was the same as it had been the last time he’d looked. Their side was filled with couches, all occupied, while the wall opposite them and the wall closest to the door were edged in booth tables, barely visible in the crush. The remaining wall was where the bar was, the counter surrounded by people chatting and buying drinks. The centre of the room was a square that was filled with people dancing. Though Darren wasn’t sure dancing was the right word. It looked more like cats in heat rubbing against one another in time to the beat. Most importantly for him was the continued absence of his princess. “We have time. She will know me when she sees me just as I will know her when I see her. You of us all should be aware that recognition of your partner is instantaneous upon first sight of them. Besides, I am enjoying the freedom here, temporary though it may be.”

Lyel’s brown eyes snapped together into a glare. “I wish to return as soon as possible. Your godmother was less than pleased at your insistence on leaving early. You are well aware that her spell on us will not last more than a year and from what I have seen, it will be difficult for the people here to accept us without it. And it is not as if you have had no ‘freedom’ at home.”

“It was not this kind of freedom. Relax. We will find her soon enough. Now if you will excuse me, I believe I am in need of a drink,” the prince said, putting both hands on the table in front of them and shoving himself to his feet.

Minutes later, Darren was trying not to smirk. This I could get used to, he thought, surrounded by a small cluster of pretty girls. He caught Lyel’s eye over the shoulders of the current girl who had pressed herself against him in a mockery of a dance. He made a gesture to indicate her body and how much of her skin could be seen due to her clothing.

His friend glared again making Darren grin. Lyel was happily engaged and it was only because Darren was his best friend that it had been possible to pry him out of the arms of his fiancée. Something Lyel reminded him of. Often.

            Again, Darren scanned the dimly lit room. Flashing lights and sudden bursts of smoke made it hard to see much besides the mass of writhing bodies that was the dance floor. The ceiling, walls and floor were all covered in an unidentifiable sparkly material that caught the light and threw it back, causing the place to give off a sort of tacky glitter. The thudding beat of the music was more felt than heard, while the combined body heat of the dancers made sweat slide down everyone’s backs. Sweeping the room one last time, Darren felt the tingle of his neck strengthen. At last! Time to begin, he thought before giving Erramun the nod.

            With a pained look, the blond bodyguard disappeared into the crush. He eeled through the packed crowd with surprising ease, especially for someone of his size. It only took him a few moments to return with a microphone in one hand. Darren took it, grinning. With luck, they’d be on their way home before the week was out.