CHAPTER 5

WARNING: NOT EDITED

THAT IS ALL

- TSG

UPDATE: =sentences that looked like this = (italicized and with equal signs) Donner's notes written on his notepad.

 ___________________________________________________________

LENESTADT POLICE HEADQUARTERS

 MARCH 1825, LATE EVENING

Only few remained at the station that night, Bertram, Donner and some other constables. Everyone was preparing to go home, satisfied at the unproductive day they had. Donner, on the other hand, and as usual, still was sitting on his table looking at the files of his cases.

The murders were not just the cases he was holding. He had cases with a store robbery, theft at an alley way; those small cases that need not Donner's full intelligence to solve. He had a case about a group of robbers loitering at the markets. It made that week exhausting. He chased one of the thieves who not only robbed a noble but stabbed him as well. That made him think that the murder cases were connected with the criminal gang. But this thinking had stopped today, He had put all the gang members in the cell earlier. No connection. No evidence. They are just a group of orphans who wanted to eat and to live. He was an orphan but not every orphan ended up like him, some did turn to do criminal activities for the sake of giving food for themselves and for their families.

"This one case was completely isolated from all of them, " Donner pondered.

Bertram stared at the Senior Inspector. Learning about the senior inspector's achievement that whole week, all the constables admired Ulrich Donner yet again. All the doubts faded, the gossips disappeared; Everyone was amazed at how Donner single-handedly incriminate a gang and put them to prison.

"He was that good, " Bertram thought as he looked at Donner, giving the reports to the superintendent that afternoon.

"He was great," A constable said.

"He was a god," another proclaimed.

The case was difficult, indeed. Donner's talents were tried, tested and amazingly manifested. If Donner was having difficulty with the murder, If his and Donner's were really connected, How then can he solve the case by himself?

He walked towards Donner's table.

"Aren't you going home, Inspector?" Bertram asked Donner who kept on staring at the journal on his table. Bertram patted his shoulder to get his attention.

"Sir?" Bertram added.

Donner looked at Bertram and said, "No -- No," He paused, placing the journal back inside his drawer.

He should learn to be like Donner. Bertram thought that he too should imerse himself in the case. That might help him solve the case, be un-imbecilic, be Donner.

"I'm leaving you now. The missus's waiting for me," Bertram said, "S-she's downstairs." He stammered.

But he just can't he was no Donner. The senior inspector was right, he is without a brain. He was dull and often a coward. He was immoral. He would do things Donner would not do in his entire life. His worth was to be him, just him. He was the only person who can be him anyway.

He then left, leaving Donner alone at the station.

 ______________________________________________

"Please help my Papa, please." a boy's voice echoed inside Donner's mind.

He recognized the place. Though he knew his own mind had created it, it seemed as if he was really at it - at the crowded and bustling market he read at the journal. Everything felt real - The smell of the canal filled with murky water and fish insides, people bumping his shoulder as they passed through, the sounds of buyers and sellers exchanging curses and trades; and that distinct voice that, out of all the noises of the busy market, was the only sound he could clearly hear.