CHAPTER 3

LENESTADT POLICE HEADQUARTERS

OCTOBER 1824, AFTERNOON

"Ah!" exclaimed the young man entering the premises, "exhausting, that is," pausing as one constable waved a hand at him, replying back by motioning with his head. The young Inspector Bertram sat at his table, looking at the older inspector behind the typewriter, "Murder cases are the most tiresome to hold. Baffled I am at how you could stay sane since you are the expert with these – Murders, Inspector."

Clearly, Bertram was talking to the Senior Inspector, but Donner replied not even uttering a single word. He continued typing with the typewriter.

"I don't know why the superintendent gave me this case. Wasn't he the one who requested the commissioner to transfer you here? Seeming that you are great at handling such cases, a master detective for murders." Donner stopped and held the worn-out journal and started to read.

Thoughts lingered at the reason of his transfer at Lenestadt – The vacancy of the Chief Inspector position.

One blabbing constable had told him about it. Thinking that the Chief Inspector position at the capital won't be vacant – not until the current inspector retired or died. Like a cat, the Chief Inspector must have had nine lives for still being alive or dodging every single encounter of a bullet. Anything from intentional to stray bullets. Donner knew that it would be long before he could be promoted.

He asked his former superintendent to be transferred to Lenestadt seeing that he had the best odds of gaining the vacant position for himself. Knowing that not a single inspector would be eligible for the promotion except him.  A bewilderment for him at how fast the commissioner had granted his request. By the time he arrived at Lenestadt, the superintendent, Phillip Friedmann, gave him information about a murder case that none of the imbecilic inspectors could solve. Right on cue he was there – a freshly committed crime. The superintendent promised to give him his desired position after he solved the case. But after seven months, he still had not solved the case. Now another murder happened, he knew the superintendent had been despondent towards him that he gave Bertram the case. Now Donner was not that sure if the superintendent's promise was still intact. He had sensed that Bertram might be the other inspector the superintendent had been considering for the job that he wanted, knowing talent-wise, Bertram is second before Donner – farther second, in all truthfulness.

He was right about one thing, though...

"No tracks, no evidences, not even a strand of hair," continued the rambling young inspector, eying the superintendent's office.

They are all in fact...

"Imbeciles," said Inspector Donner.

Bertram looked at him, "Pardon?"

Donner made no answer. He continued reading the journal.

“You've been spending your time with that journal, Inspector,” mentioned Bertram, “I didn't imagine you to be so fond with literature."

Donner could not stop the grin spreading all over his face. If only this idiot knew what he had done earlier.

+     +     +     +     +

HOURS EARLIER

OCTOBER, 1824, MORNING

It was by far easy for Donner to sneak past the two constables guarding the new crime scene. Knowing how complacent the young Inspector Bertram was, Donner knew he would boast amongst his common minded officers before scanning the scene. Bertram's clumsiness could wreck a crime scene if ever there were evidences to save. As of this one, Bertram could move with freedom as he would not be able mess with any evidences seeing that there were no prints, no clues. – much like the last murder months ago.