n i n e

C A S S I E

Crying wasn't something Cassie ever really did. It's not that she never got sad, it's just she didn't cry when she did. Though, she did cry from time to time. It was more like a breakdown when she cried though. 

Someone could yell at her or she'd knock over a water bottle and instantly begin sobbing. Not over the yelling or the spilled water, but everything she didn't cry over in the past month or so. It'd all come back to her in that moment and she'd sob wildly. It wasn't something she could control either. 

When they arrived in St. Paul, Minnesota around six at night, the girls were practically ecstatic. They found their way to a motel, a rather nice one in fact, and used some money to rent a room. Now, Cassie is sat in the van outside Walmart, the girls conversing in the back. Cassie is unsure why, but Carol says the girls need some nice clothes. 

"So, are we going or what?" Cassie finally wonders as she shuts the car off and turns to face the girls. "Not that I don't enjoy sitting in the car and staring at the Walmart entrance," 

Carol chuckles slightly as she goes and opens up the door, stepping out with Quinn and Nina following behind her. Cassie smiles as she grabs her wristlet and her phone, getting out too. "Now, let's head in because I so need a new dress," Carol speaks up with a smile as she walks towards the front entrance. 

The girls follow and step inside the Walmart, instantly departing from each other to do their own shopping. Cassie walks off towards the shoes to grab herself a new pair of combat boots, ones that aren't worn and ready to fall apart. She grabs a box off the shelf as she turns to head towards the clothes, humming Stressed Out by Twenty One Pilots quietly to herself. 

She scans the racks before spotting a black lace dress, it's casual with cup sleeves. Not only that, but it's a fit and flare dress which is just what she wanted. She grabs her size and then begins to wander aimlessly, her shopping finished. Finally, she heads to the cash register and pays  for her things to go out to the car to wait for the other girls. 

She sits in the car for awhile, just humming softly to herself with her head rested against the headrest. She shuts her eyes momentarily, just as she hears a door open up. "Heyo," Nina's voice rings out as she shuts the door. 

"Hey Nina," Cassie greets, turning her head to wave over at Nina who is now in the passenger seat. "What did you buy?" she wonders, her eyes glancing toward the bag she held.

Nina smiles as she rifles through the bag. "A maroon knit sweater and black leggings," Cassie nods her head as she taps her fingers against her leg. "Also, I got this," Cassie turns her head to see an album in Nina's hand. 

"Sounds Good Feels Good? Seriously Nina?" Cassie scoffs, a small smile on her face. She puts a hand out to which Nina hands the CD over. 

Cassie sits, pulling off the wrapping. "I figured some travel music wouldn't be bad, especially some good music. I mean, I've already listened to the album so," Cassie laughs softly as she opens up the album, looking it over before putting the CD in the stereo. 

Nina immediately presses skip a few times before a song begins to play through the radio. "What was that?"

"Newer songs first," Nina shrugs as she sits back.

Oh say, can you see? This is not who I'm supposed to be.

Cassie inwardly scoffs as she rests her head back once again, listening to the music playing. Nina sings under her breath, happily smiling. "Have you talked to Ashton at all? Since we've gone on this trip,"

"Hmm?" Nina hums quickly, before realizing what she asked. "I haven't talked to him on this trip at all. Not since San Francisco, actually" 

Cassie gasps loudly, "But Nashton! My poor shipper heart is completely ruined!" Nina laughs, shaking her head as Cassie smiles. "Seriously though, why not? Carol is still in touch with Mikey,' 

"You're not in touch with Luke," Nina points out to which Cassie just turns her head for a moment before turning back. "You can't judge me," 

Suddenly, the door in the back swings open and Carol and Quinn step inside. "Hello," Carol greets happily as she takes a seat on the bed, Quinn sitting beside her.  

"Ready to go?" Cassie wonders to which all the girls nod. Cassie buckles up before starting the car and pulling out of the Walmart parking lot. "I still can't believe you haven't talked to him since San Francisco," 

Nina playfully rolls her eyes, "Hush. But, speaking of San Francisco," Nina leans forward, pressing the skip button again, and again, and again. Suddenly, Calum's voice rings through the car.

I can still taste you like it was yesterday. Making plans to rule the world, you were more than I deserved. I see you running in the sand, long hair blowing in the wind, never thought that it would end.

Cassie listens intently, the whole van practically silent. It's like they're all listening for something, anything, but that's just not true.

Leaves fall from the tallest trees, even mountains crumble into the sea. Holding on to memories and I can't let go.

For a brief moment, it's like she's been shot. She feels numb, the song echoing through the car. Calum's voice being the only sound throughout the area.

However the ride back to the motel is short and once the car shuts off along with the music, the tension in the car begins to leave. "All right," Cassie finally breathes out, breaking the silence. "Let's head inside," 

The girls gather their things and get out, except Quinn. "I'll be in, just have to find my phone," The girls wave before walking into the motel room. Cassie sets her bag down on the chair near the door, sitting back on her shared bed with Nina. She lays back before sighing loudly.

"What?" Carol asks, putting away her new clothes.

Cassie groans as she stands, "Forgot my wallet in the van," Before Carol can say more, Cassie exits and walks towards the van. She's about the pull open the driver side door before she hears it.

The road is silent due to the motel being so out of the way, and no one's inhabiting the parking lot currently. It's just a few cars here and there. Everything's quite silent, except for the soft sobbing from inside the van.

Cassie stands still, her hand leaving the door handle. The sobbing continues, with no end in sight. She shakes her head before turning and walking back to their room, the pit of guilt in her stomach never fading. 

=================================================

yes, it's an update. how fun.

and honestly, im so in love with the fact there is a song called san francisco on the album. it works so well with the fic my friends.

now, why do you think quinn was crying? 

comment your thoughts.

love you all. bye.