chapter 5

Back at the deforestation site Katie was grinning darkly, standing close to Hexxus and the funnel. "Look at our work, Boss!" She grins.

'Oh, I am so proud of you...' Hexxus cooed to Katie, only being gentle with her.

"What shall I tell them, Boss?" Katie asks him, the bottom of her dress now becoming like smoke, but only slightly.

'We need to go further... More and more deeper into the forest!' Hexxus was very power hungry.

"Ferngully," Katie smirked, the name just coming to her. She moved and gracefully jumped down to talk to Tony and Ralph. "Boys, we need to carry on into Ferngully... Cut the trees down as quick as you can!" She smiled, her eyes glowing.

Hexxus laughed, he loved it when Katie said it. Tony was slowly becoming scared of Katie, but he still was going to do as she said. Katie winked at the boys then went back up to her place beside her boss. Ralph wasn't sure about doing it. Tony rubbed the back of his neck, anxiously.

'So lovely you are...' Hexxus laughed to Katie.

Katie smiled up to Hexxus. Hexxus smiled back, he never had help like this before and he was very glad that he did. He was surely going to make her the happiest in the world. Katie looked ahead then, watching the destruction. Soon enough the forest would be no more and it would take a miracle to fix it all up.

The night passed quite calmly except for those in Hexxus and Katie's paths. Katie hadn't slept at all. Hexxus was eager and hungry with Katie, they were almost all done. Zak started to carve his and Crysta's name in the tree. This woke Crysta up while Cherry tried to sleep, but she woke up too. They had slept on a giant leaf and looked through the rainforest together, educating each other and had not yet found the Magi. Cherry and Crysta found Zak as he was carving into a tree, much to Crysta's horror.

"What are you doing?" Crysta asked, alarmed.

"Carving your name, look, C-R-Y-S--" Zak said, showing her, about to do more.

"No, no, you musn't do that!" Crysta protested against him doing anymore. "Here..." she took Zak and Cherry's hands, putting them against the trunk. "Can't you feel it's pain?"

"It's pain?" Cherry asked.

"Oh, you guys..." Crysta sighed, she felt like they just could not understand.

Zak couldn't feel it either.

"I'm sorry, Crysta... We're not fairies," Cherry explained. "We don't feel things like that."

Crysta felt a little hurt and didn't say anything after that. Zak saw she was upset and pushed the leaf the were on into the water, so it became like a boat. Crysta saw the leaf boat and giggled a little.

"I wonder if we could ride in it." Cherry giggled as well.

Zak held his hand out to help them in. Cherry took Zak's hand first. Crysta looked to them, a little dubious at first due to how Zak and Cherry reacted about the trees, she then smiled as she joined them and they went on their own little boat ride and passed various animals with their babies and the acts of nature, though not the gruesome parts. It felt so safe and warm just to see the peace and the animals with each other.

Zak looked around, in awe. Cherry smiled to the animals, especially to the kangaroos. The mother was drinking the water while her two babies looked entranced by their little visitors. Crysta smiled, Cherry and Zak were really getting in touch with nature and Mother Earth now. Maybe this would make the humans stay in the rainforest, she at least hoped and thought. Cherry wasn't much of an outdoors person, but she never saw anything more beautiful than this.