Zuko- Part 10

As we walked closer and closer to Katara's home village I could feel my stomach clenching and tightening up. I was extremely nervous....I had a feeling we would have to fight a few people. Especially if Katara's dad was there. He I at least already knew, he knew the kind of person I was now. If he still found me to be such a horrible person he wouldn't have attended my coronation. And I'm sure by now the word had gotten around of the good I was trying to do by bringing the nations back together, so we could live in peace. But even if I do all these good things and continue to do so, people can be hard to convince. They will still have their opinions.

And even her father likes me, he may not like me being with his daughter. As all the possibilities of this situation went through my mind, as I was continuously freaking out on the inside...I felt Katara's hand grip on my hand tighten.

"Zuko..." I looked over at her. "Are you ok?" Her voice was always so gentle and do kind. It calmed me down....but still felt a little on edge.

"Uh, yeah...yeah I'm ok..." I said and smiled at her but I knew she could tell what was bothering me, because as we got closer my grip on her hand tightened.

"It'll be alright," she whispered. "I"m here, right here by your side."

"Thank you for reminding me, it makes me feel a little bit better."

"Good."

As we walked Aang also had some tension, I could see it in his walk, and his shoulders, he was not letting this go. I knew dealing with Aang would take time. He needed to let go and not be so angry. The more angry he was, the more clouded his mind would become, and he wouldn't be able to see how Katara and I fit. Sokka was glad that he was home, he couldn't wait for his people to meet Suki, but I knew at some point he would want to talk to me about being with Katara. I knew that's what he wanted to talk to me about before, and he would take the opportunity here.

When we reached the threshold of their campsite, the people who were outside started looking towards us, realizing someone was approachin. They were looking first tryimg to make out who they could see. Then the village started to fill with laughter and smiles.

"Katara? Sokka?" an older woman called from afar. I assumed she was Katara's grandmother that she always spoke so highly of....she seemed familiar but I didn't really remember...I was too focused on getting Aang.

"Gran Gran!" Katara and Sokka both yelled happily. I let go of Katara's hand as she moved forward to run to her grandmother as Sokka did. I smiled as her and her brother ran to hug their grandmother. I didn't know much about my grandmothers', I didn't know either of them. The only grand-anything I was familiar with at all was my father's father...who was best friends with Avatar Roku at one point in time.

"Zuko!" Katara called me. I was so deep in my thoughts that I hadn't realized that i had stopped and everyone else had already walked ahead. "Get over here."

I smiled and continued the movement of my feet to her. As I approached, her grandmother had a welcoming smile for me. She had sweet eyes like Katara. Very serene. I felt that maybe I would be ok...maybe I was overly paranoid for no reason. When I reached them, the three of them, Katara, Sokka, and their grandmother were just smiling. 

"Hello, Zuko," she smiled.

"Hello miss," I smiled back.

"Oh no need to be so formal," she then leaned in to hug me and i hugged her back. "Call me Kanna, I hope you are taking care of my granddaughter."

From that statement I knew that she knew, she must have seen us holding hands. I looked over at Katara, who was smiling as the sun's rays reflected off her crystal blue eyes. And I smiled back at her. "I am, to the best of my abilities."