Chapter 2 Holey

Chapter 2 Holey

I checked my watch. Shouldn’t somebody be back yet? But there was no sign of anyone.

“Mum,” I began worriedly. In my head I check off who should have arrived already: Ron and Tonks, Dad and Fred. But both their portkeys arrived without them. Next was meant to be Harry and Hagrid.

“I know, I know, Ginny!” Mum interrupted. “Oh, look!” Mum pointed out the window where a glowing light appeared.

Mum and I ran outside, me shouting out to Harry when I saw him. Hagrid was still getting off his feet when Harry greeted us, only looking slightly ruffled. My heart filled with relief. All I wanted to do was to throw my arms around him and stay there forever, but I couldn’t.

“Harry? You are the real Harry? What happened? Where are the others?” Mum cried hysterically.

“What d’you mean? Isn’t anyone else back?” Harry asked his face etched with worry.

“They were waiting for us,” Harry said finally. “The Death Eaters. They surrounded us the moment we took off. They knew it was tonight! I have no idea what happened to the others. Voldemort caught up with us…” I could hear Harry’s voice pleading for us to forgive him. For some stupid reason he always thought everything was his fault.

Mum pulled him into a tight hug and then went to fetch some brandy for Hagrid, who was looking shaky.

I stepped towards Harry, and seeing his unspoken plea, recited quickly, “Ron and Tonks should have gotten back first the Dad and Fred were supposed to come back second. The both missed their portkeys.” I pointed to the grass where a rusty oilcan and ancient plimsoll laid. “George and Remus should be getting back any minute now.”

And just as I said it, the wind began to swirl and George and Remus landed. Harry rushed forward and grabbed George’s legs, helping Remus carry him to the living room.

I gasped when I saw their reason for doing this. George’s face was covered in shockingly scarlet blood and his ear was missing. Mum began performing her healing magic immediately, but it didn’t seem to be doing any good.

I turned my head away, unable to watch, and saw Lupin roughly pointing his and at Harry.

He spat out some harsh words and Harry replied hesitantly. Lupin, now sure it was the real Harry, pulled away.

“Somebody’s betrayed us,” he choked. “How else could they have found us so easily?”

Harry nodded in agreement just when another portkey arrived. Hermione and Kingsley appeared in the garden, clutching a bent coat hanger. Hermione ran into Harry’s arms and my heart roared with jealousy. But Hermione didn’t love Harry that way, she loved Ron, I could tell. Though how anyone could be in love with that disgusting twerp was beyond me.

I tried concentrating on the conversations going on, but found it difficult.

“Snape’s work,” Lupin said and I finally caught on what they were talking about. Snape had cut George’s ear off. It was his entire fault. I hated that man with all my being.

I didn’t want to listen anymore, so I went over to Mum and George. Mum starting barking instructions at me and I was happy to oblige. I hoped George would be all right.

I saw Dad and Fred arrive in the garden; their faces mad with worry. They both ran inside and rushed to George. Fred moaned and ran to his brother’s side.

“How do you feel, Georgie?” Fred asked in a hushed voice.

“Saintlike,” George replied woozily.

“What’s wrong with him? Is his mind affected?” Fred worried.

George groaned. “Saintlike. You see… I’m holy. Holey, Fred, geddit?”

“Pathetic. Pathetic!” Fred exclaimed, but everyone could see his relief. “With the whole wide world of ear-related humour before you and you go for holey?”

George shrugged weakly and the whole room sighed in relief.

Ron and Tonks arrived next. Ron looked disturbed but had a smug look in his eyes. That disappeared when he saw George.

“Bloody hell,” Ron breathed. “What happened?”

“Snape,” a chorus of voices answered. Ron visibly paled.

“Bill!” Mum shouted shrilly, running up to her eldest son as he arrived. He had a grim look on his face.

“Mad-Eye’s dead,” he said gloomily. Phlegm – Fleur – had tears in her eyes as she nodded.

Everybody bowed their heads in honour of Mad-Eye Moody. This war would be hard to win without him. Hell, it was hard enough trying to win it with him. My eyes pricked with tears and I felt the warmth down my face as they trickled out of my eyes.