Cleaver

As I walked home from school that night, a cleaver was in a shop window. It was only cheap, so I bought it 'as a present for my dad'. Boy, how much fun will I have tomorrow and all days? I pondered on that for a minute. Ok! I'm gonna play a game with my friends at home. I'll just call them now...

"Hey gang!" I yelled.

"Hey Toby!" They yelled back.

Our gang is me, Yon, Tommy and Blake. We have bundles of fun together.

"Check out what I bought!" I yelled excitedly. I turned around to reach for the cleaver...but it was gone! How??? I'd kept it with me since school ended, plus no one else but me had been in my room. Ohhhhh. I was looking forward to that game as well.

"Boys I'll see you tomorrow. I forgot my equipment." I mumbled sadly.

After shutting the front door, I visited the kitchen and turned on the radio.

"BREAKING NEWS! A BOY HAS BEEN KILLED ON HIGHPROCE ROAD! APPARENTLY, A MAN USED A CLEAVER TO KILL HIM JUST A FEW MINUTES AGO. THE BOY IS BELIEVED TO BE CALLED YON, AND WAS TRAVELLING HOME WHEN HE WAS ATTACKED. POLICE WILL HAVE FURTHER INVESTIGATIONS."

My heart stopped. YON! My best friend...dead. Oh the pain of loss. Still, nothing else would happen, right?

The next morning I could hear loud demanding police sirens nearby.

"Oh poop," I thought. "Not MORE police."

I turned a corner and saw, flat out, face down, Tommy and Blake. Three best friends dead in two days!!! Something was wrong. Who would be next, or was this it?

"A cleaver. Once again," PC Fin muttered to his partner. I overheard and rushed home. I locked the door tightly behind me, ensuring my safety.

"Toby..." A voice echoed into my ears. A tall, slender man stood behind me. I slowly turned to meet his frosted gaze, a cleaver in his hand.

"DAD??!!"