New Information

The next time we stopped was when we got to Fred Goldman’s house. It was a two story brick home. It had brown shutters and a porch. Dean parks the car on the opposite side of the road. Leah was the first to get out, then Dean. I braced myself before opening the door.

As soon as I got out I trip over Leah’s foot. She didn’t apologize for sticking it out right under me. She kept walking to Mr. Goldman’s house. There was a reason she didn’t like me. 

“What is up with her? Does she hate me or something?”

“No, it’s not you. We use to date.”

“You two what?!” I shouted.

“We dated on and off for a long time. Please don’t let her get to you. She conniving. That’s one of the reasons we broke up. Here, give me your hand.”

“Really? I don’t think she got the memo. Every time she looks at me, I feel like she wants to rip my throat out. Can you just her to back off?” I got up without his help.

“Sure, I’ll talk to her.”

“Hey! Come on!” Leah shouted.

Leah rang the doorbell. A tall man who looked to be in his twenties. He had black curly hair and thing but graceful lips.  He had sea blue eyes with specks of gray inn them. He wore a cardigan sweater with khaki pant. Two words. Preppy boy. 

“Hi, can I help you?” he asked, looking at Leah. Leah batted he eyes. It made me want to throw up. His guy’s gaze was stuck on her. 

“Uh, yes, is there a Fred Goldman living here?” I asked. He glances at me before looking back at Leah.

“Sorry, but my grandfather died ten years ago.”

“How did he died?” Dean blurted out.

“Heart attack, brought on my anaphylactic shock,” the guy answered.

 “What’s your name?” Leah asked.

 “Robert Goldman. Is there anything else I can help you with?”

 “Uh, no thank you. Sorry to have bothered you,” I said and headed back to the car.

 A few minutes later, Dean and Leah joined me. Well this trip was a complete waste. Fred probably didn’t even have what I have. I’m ten years too late to ask him anyhow. I just wanted to scream. We were counted on this Fred guy to know something. All we have now is a dead end and me slowly but surely dying.

 “So what do you thing Dean?” Leah asked. I held my head between my legs.

 “Yeah,” Dean said. “We’re going to have to check into a hotel.”

“What’s the point? He doesn’t know anything. His grandfather died when he was probably in his early teens. This was all a waste. I can’t help anyone,” I sat up. 

 “Your so trusting, it makes me sick. Can’t you tell that he was lying. Something’s up,” Leah said smugly.

 “What? How could you tell he was lying,” I asked wiping tears from my eyes.

 “It’s an angel thing,” Leah said.

 “Then how would I know then?” I countered

 “YOU wouldn’t.”