New Beginnings (edited)

It's been about two months since I started coming to the Clifford House. Every day, I am either cornered by Leah's obsessive need to know more about my headachea or Dean trying to find ways for me to survive them.

I would never tell him, but my hope isn’t very high. The headaches have been getting worse and the nose bleeds are becoming too frequent. At first, I thought that--that would be my only problem, but then the pain didn’t just reside in my head but also in many other parts of my body. It sometimes get so painful that I can barely move. Sometimes I hear my bones cracking like they are breaking to make more room for something.

“Okay so there was this case back in 1962 about a Fred Goldman who also had...” he stopped when he saw my ears perk up. I thought it would have slipped his mind, “what you had and survived. He had some of the same signs. He has to be one. I think if we emailed him, he could tell us how he did it,” Dean said.

“Why don’t we just go visit him? He lives in Bismarck, North Dakota,” I said. “Hey isn’t that where you said you were from?”

"Technically no... that was the last place we’d been,” he answered. "We've never actually stayed there."

I had an inkling, “Dean, how long have you been here in Minnesota?”

“Almost thirty six years,” he continued surfing the web.

“So why did you just now decided to start school?”

“You.”

“Me?” I smiled.

“Yeah,” he rubbed the back of his neck. “I wanted to be closer to you. Also, I don't look as old as I am. People who start questioning us."

"You could have lied and said you were being homeschooeled."

"It would look wierd being hom school and never in touched with the school and beside, I wouldn't be near you."

“Okay, I get it,” I smirked. “You were stalking me.”

“It was not stalking you,” he turned to look at me. “I just making sure you were safe. That’s all. I wanted to protect you,” his hands went limp when he turned back to the monitor. “I’m going to protect you.”

“Thank you Dean,” I bent to hugged him from behind. He turned and kissed me on the mouth. Then he stood and embraced me.

After a little more of “that”, we were left breathless. He then held me for a while and I fell into him. I loved his scent. He always smelled like the ocean and outdoors.

“Mmm, So when do you have to go home?” he breathed into my hair.

“Not right now,” I step away from him. If I didn’t we would get nowhere with the research. “Come on we need to keep working.”

“You’re breaking my heart,” he held his hand over his heart.

“I’m sure,” I rolled my eyes.