chapter one

Ambrose's POV

Tapping my pen on my desk I wondered what in the world was taking Lilly so long to bring me the file I had asked for. It was the day before I was going to my out of town business meeting and she was not working at an acceptable rate. I scribbled another message on a small piece of paper and sent it through the pneumatic tube. What in heaven's name was taking her so long?

"Mr. Linton, I am coming in," I announced, while tapping my cane on the door that separated the room with the files from my office.

I heard a box crash on the ground as I burst through the office door. Lilly was kneeling on the floor struggling to pick up the files that had fallen out of the box. She had a warm pink color in her cheeks and actually looked almost adorable. Not that I would ever dispel such a thought to her.

"Mr. Linton I would certainly wish you would would work more efficiently," I said expressionlessly.

"Sorry, sir, I was just retrieving the file from the box when you burst into the room and startled me!"

Why in the world had I startled her? I had knocked before I entered the room had I not? And why did she always make excuses when she could not do something properly? And why did her voice always sound so sarcastic when she called me sir? Blast this woman!

"I will deduct the time you spend being startled from your wages, Mr. Linton."

"Of course you will," She mumbled.

"Excuse me?" I shot back at her.

"Oh dear me," She looked up at me and smirked, "Of course you will, sir."

Though my face remained mostly expressionless, I could feel my left eyebrow twitch slightly. I hardly understood how I kept my cool around her. She was a complete nuisance! All she did was drop files and waste time being startled. Even if she did look quite adorable when startled, she was still wasting my time!

I bent down quickly and retrieved the file I had needed her to get for me and watched as she finished shoving the rest of the files hastily in the box.

"Next time, do not take so long," I commanded.

She spun around and went back to sit behind her desk without answering me. I turned on my heel and made my way back to my office.

"Mr. Ambrose," Her voice interrupted me just as my hand reached the door handle.

"If you had something to say Mr. Linton, why didn't you say it when I was still in front of you!" I declared, refusing to turn around to face her.

"I'm quite sorry, sir, I just had a question."

I fought the urge to bang my head against the door. What in God's name did she want? I needed to get back to work! I would have to deduct this wasted time from her wages as well.

"Then ask it," I sighed.

"About your upcoming trip..." She started.

Oh no, my mind immediately started whirling with thoughts. Anytime I needed to go somewhere to take care of a business matter, she insisted on coming. Though we had, had quite the adventure at the docks and on the island, I refused to take her with me anywhere again. Though she did prove to be quite helpful, her annoying presence would surely drive me mad. However much I didn't want her to come, I still knew lying to her would be absolutely pointless. She had a way of getting information out of me that most others did not possess, though it was mostly by pestering me.

"What about my upcoming trip?" I started, coolly and slowly, yet to turn around.

"Well, I was just wondering if it might be dangerous and if you would tell me about it."

Inwardly, I sighed heavily, still not wanting to face her, "No it will not be dangerous, and though it is none of your business, I shall tell you about it anyway since you will force it out of me one way or another! I have to conduct some business with a few older businessmen in a small village for the weekend. They live there and are not comfortable with travel so I must go there and stay in a small cabin for a few days."

"A small, cramped cabin," I added, hoping to scare her off, "No place for a lady infact."

"Why sir, are you insinuating that I am a lady?" She replied with a smug tone.

I whirled around sharply to face her, quickly realizing my mistake. While trying to scare her off from insisting to come with me by explaining that a lady would not want to be in cramped and dirty quarters, I had admitted she was a lady!

I gazed at her with a cold and hard expression my eyes glazing over her smug look, "Whilst under my employ, you are no lady."

"However," I continued, straightening my tailcoat, "You should also be disinclined to accompany me on this trip."

"Now, what makes you think I would want to accompany you?" She cocked her head to the side and batted her eyes at me.

I narrowed my eyes and glared intently at her. What kind of game was she playing?

"Well then," I started, "If you are not going to pester me to come along..."

"Oh no sir, I will be pestering you to come along, I just don't know why you would assume that." Her voice feigned innocence.

I took three easy strides to the front of her desk and leaned in towards her face, "You will not be pestering me to come along, because you will not be coming along Mr. Linton!"

"With all due respect, sir," She stood up from her desk and leaned in towards me, our faces only a few inches apart now, "I have absolutely nothing to do this weekend, and I would be a great help! Besides, I am your assistant."

It took everything in me, not to run my hand down my face in utter frustration. This had happened twice before. I knew exactly how it would end. If she wanted to come with me, then she would come with me, whether I wanted her to or not. I decided there was absolutely no point in wasting more time and breath by arguing with her.

"Fine Mr. Linton," I kept my voice steady, hiding all bits of exasperation, "You may accompany me for the weekend."

Her countenance seemed to falter as her eyebrows knitted together in slight confusion.

"W-w-wait, what?" She sounded completely flabbergasted.

"That's it," She continued, "No fight, no argument, no locking me in my office, you're just going to let me come along? Is this another trick?" She jabbed a finger in my face.

"First off," I said through gritted teeth as I grabbed her finger that was centimeters from my eye and pushed her hand away from me, ignoring the electricity I felt from our contact, "Do not ever stick your finger anywhere near my face again."

"Second off," I continued, letting go of her finger, "I see no point in arguing with you and wasting my breath. That will simply get us nowhere. If you can come along with me then so be it, just be wary of your attitude Mr. Linton."

Her face broke out into a huge grin, and I fought the urge to roll my eyes.

"Thank you sir, you will not regret it!"

I glared at her for a solid thirty seconds knowing good and well I would regret it and then spun around on my heel and made my way back to my office.

"And Mr Linton," I said turning back around to address her grinning face.

"Yes sir?"

"Stop wasting time grinning and get back to work!"

Authors note: This story starts assuming that Lilly and Ambrose have already gotten back to London after stealing the file from the island! We've never read Mr. Ambrose's pov before so I thought it would be interesting to try and write based on what I assumed goes on in his head! i hope you all liked it, i'll be uploading the next chapter soon!