The farm

Her house was nearby but on the way we had to pick up her four year old son, Wilbur from his primary school. Though she called him Will all the time (thank goodness for him!).

She chatted to me all the way home and Will tried to hide behind her, but I could tell by his cheeky grin that he wouldn't stay shy for very long.

We arrived at their humble, cosy house with the unfamiliar smell of slurry in the air around it.

Once we got in she asked me of my life in the city and she also told me about theirs.

She told me that her husband David was a plane driver over the sea in Europe and she kept this explanation very brief and I couldn't help noticing a distant look in her eyes so I didn't ask any more questions because I guessed that this must be a touchy subject.

She gave me stew and a small hunk of apple pie for dinner and desert.

She asked my what footwear I had brought and I showed her my scruffy school shoes which I was wearing now and my good patent shoes in my bag. She said that she would buy me some good boots which would be appropriate for the farm.

She was shocked and I looked down at my shoes when she realised that I had never been on a farm before and only been in the country side twice, both while visiting me great aunt who has passed away since then.

She gave me a tour of the house before I went to bed and I noticed very few pictures around the house of her husband, they were mostly of Will and her. There was one of her husband on the mantelpiece and I he looked handsome in his uniform.

Their farm consists mostly of chickens which were bantams and cows too. She also grows vegetables, which must be handy so that she can save up her ration cards for other things but she said it was getting late and she would show me around more thoroughly tomorrow.

I went to sleep quickly, quite content in my nice sagging, cosy bed and thought, this is what a real home is like..