New York, New York (23)

The next day, I saw the first reviews of 'Read Letter's first album. The reviews were mixed some thought they were okay, while others thought they were brilliant. Once in a blue moon you stumble upon someone who hated it, but mostly good things were said about 'City Muse'.

That was also the first time I saw a piece of gossip on any of the guys.

It was a bunch of pictures.

Pictures of Levi and I walking through central park after prom.

They were excellent, really, stunning. Whoever the photographer was had done brilliantlly, I hadn't even seen anyone but Levi. One was a close up, one was farther back with the dark shading our faces, and then one was of us kissing, and it had a little bubble to the side, showing my engagement ring.

'Spotted, in NYC Central Park' the article began, 'Levi Carro, the lead singer of the up and coming band  'Read Letter'. Their album was released just last month, and is already quite popular in Europe. They plan to go on tour this summer. The girl? His finacee Sophia Marcus. Stunning couple, aren't they? This picture goes to prove that even rock stars can have some fun. They look as if they stepped off the red carpet. Doesn't seem like a bad prophecy, seeing the rising hype over the frontman's band.'

It was just a small blip on a blogger's website, but it was something. I showed it to Levi who just rolled his eyes and laughed. "At least they have good things to say."

As it wound down to the end of May, our final exams approached. We crammed and crammed, spending late nights in the library. Levi and I didn't see much of each other for awhile, spending as much time studying as possible.

However, Izzy was still in town. She worried me more than I wanted to let on. What was her alterior motive? Why was she here? I hadn't seen any real reason for her being here yet.

Then it came.

Graduation day.

It was a warm day in June with a slight breeze rolling through the air. I was in a flower print sundress beneath my white gown, and wore a pair of mid-height sling backs. My hair was curled and my makeup done to perfection. I stood with my parents, grandparents and Molly as we all took photos, and I even had time to get a few outside the school with Levi before the ceremony.

"This is it, mia bella canzone," he whispered in my ear, "On Monday, we leave for Europe."

I smiled. "I can't wait."

"Guess what I can't wait for?"

"To graduate?"

"To marry you," he corrected. I blushed a slight shade of pink, and grinned.

"Really?"

"Of course I am," he said while rolling his eyes.

"I have to admit, I'm excited to marry you too."

"Better be," Levi chuckled smugly, "Because after that, you're stuck with me."

"I don't think I'd mind."

"Really now?" he inquired, raising his eyebrows.

"Behave," I scolded, while kissing his jaw line. "We have to line up to march in."

"Fine," he grumbled.

The ceremony went smashingly. My name was called, and I strode to the podium, shook the hand of my principal, recieved my diploma and posed for a picture. Done, quick and painless.

After the ceremony we went to the Carro residence where there was a barbeque being held for the two of us. I sat with Levi on a picnic table in the back yard, and watched Sal translate everything for Claudia.

"Why didn't she ever learn English?" I asked.

"Because, in and around our neighborhood there are lots of Italians, there are lots of older Italians who speak the language, so it was never a problem for her, especially when she was younger and all Italians spoke Italian. However, she's realized as she's gotten older what a struggle it's becoming. She can't even go to the grocery store by herself anymore."

"That must be rough."

"Sometimes, but we love her just the same."

Levi stared at his two grandparents, holding hands while sitting in lawn chairs, chatting with my grandparents. Sal and Claudia still held hands, sitting there in the early summer sun. I grinned and sighed.

"I hope we're like that."

"Me too."

He kissed me gently then, and I rested my head on his shoulder. Suddenly, Izzy came over and wanted to talk to him. He went with her.

They were in the house for awhile, when I heard raised voices. I saw Sal send Ben to check on the situation, but I worried. Some people were starting to notice.

Then there was a crash. I saw Sal dart into the house, and I followed after him. When I got there, a vase lay broken on the floor, and Levi stood there dumbfounded.

"What is going on?!" Sal demanded. "This is supposed to be a day of celebration, not bickering!"

"You call throwing a vase at my head bickering?" Levi demanded, outraged.

"Izzy, why do you do this?"

She stood there, nostrils flared, arms crossed over her chest. She glared at me. "This is a family matter."

"She is family," Levi snapped back, grabbing my hand, "She's going to be my wife."

"Levi, what is going on?" Sal asked again.

"She wanted money for drugs," Levi told him, looking at Izzy. "And I won't give it to her."

"Drugs?" Sal cried, "You return to my home when I practically raised you three as children, and bring drugs into my home?"

Izzy said nothing.

"She needs help," Ben said.

"She does, but she won't take it," Levi snorted.

"I don't need your damn help! It's not like any of you ever cared about me!"

"Izzy, what the hell?!" Ben cried, stepping toward her. "Do you know how many times we tried to track you down? How many letters we tried to send? How many phone calls we made looking for you? If you think we didn't care, you're stupid."

"That's enough," Sal said, holding up his hand. "Izzy, as your grandfather I'll always love you. But while you make these decisions you can't stay here, and you can't get money from us."

"This is ridiculous!" she cried, picking up a sweater from the chair behind her. She stormed out towards the front door, and Levi followed her. They talked in hushed whispers, but I just heard enough.

"You do this to me Levi.....when you're famous I'll tell everyone about Mom and Dad. No one likes a star who has an ugly past."

"I can't Izzy."

"You wait then Levi. Just wait. I'll run to any magazine who will take my story. I could say a lot about you."

"And they'll believe you? A heroine addict?"

"They don't know that," she retorted, crossing her arms, "And it does matter if they believe me or not, they want a story. It's gonna suck for you when the press finds out Levi Carro isn't the star he's cracked up to be."

"Mom and Dad have nothing to do with who I am as a person."

"You'll see," She cackled, walking out the door, and flipping him off. "You'll see."