New York, New York (08)

"In August, I met Kyle."

I took a deep breath, closing my eyes. I shook my head, trying to shake the image of Kyle's malicious grin from my head. He'd been strong. So, strong.

"Kyle went to my highschool, my very tiny highschool. Everyone had known everyone since we were kids, but Kyle had lived with his dad in Mississippi for a few years. When he came back, he used to stop by to see me when I worked at a little mom-and-pop bakery. We became close friends, even though I only got to see him sometimes. He went to college while I was still in high school.

"Kyle didn't ask me out until October. We'd been flirtatious, going to football and basketball games together, texting til the wee hours. We started dating right before Halloween. Kyle was sweet, at first. He would drive me places, buy me things, and say the absolute sweetest things. I really did like him, a lot.

I took another deep breath, struggling to find the words. I looked down at my fist which rested on my leg. How could I have been so stupid? I could feel the tears beginning to sting my eyes.

Levi took my hand and his, his eyes encouraging me. He didn't say anything. No pressure to continue, no judgement.

"But soon he became....angry? He was mean. It was subtle at first. He'd snap at me for no particular reason. He would order me around, and get mad when I hung out with my friends. Eventually, I just....stopped. Kyle could get so mad at me when I didn't do what he wanted.

"One night, Kyle and I went to a party together. Molly had insisted on coming, and my parents had finally relented. I couldn't believe it, she was only in eight grade. Anyway, we went to the party, and I saw an old friend who had graduated the year before, a spent a semester studying abroad in Spain. I went to say hello, and ask him how he was. Kyle didn't like it at all. He took me upstairs to talk, and screamed at me, calling me every name in the book, because he said I was flirting with my friend, and that I was nothing but a slut.

"What started as a screaming match turned into him beating the crap out of me. Kyle gave me a black eyes, a fractured wrist and a concussion. I ended up getting away from him because I kicked him in an unpleasant spot. When I went downstairs, Molly was flirting with some guy, and did not want to leave, at all. I made her come, and she was pissed off at me. I was dizzy, light headed and tired, but Molly couldn't drive. Molly was also slightly intoxicated. Anyway, I fell asleep at the wheel, ended up flipping our car and landing it in the river.

"Up until then, my dad and I had had a good relationship. Since, he hasn't looked me in the eyes, and won't say more than a few commands to me. He's angry with me for not telling anyone how controlling Kyle was. I guess he thought I was stronger than that. He'll never forgive me either. I almost killed Molly and myself."

Levi sat there quietly. He turned and opened the car door, and got out.

He couldn't handle it.

Just as I started to cry, my door opened, and I looked up to see Levi looking down at me. He extended his hand to me and I took it. Levi pulled me out of the car and straight into his arms.

I burst into tears, and held onto his shirt. I had never cried in Kyle's arms. I had never bore my soul to Kyle that way. Kyle and I had date for half a year. I'd only known Levi a week. That proved how much more of a man Levi was than Kyle.

Levi put a hand on my waist, and the other on my cheek. He wiped the tears from my eyes, and pressed his forehead agaisnt mine.

"Listen to me Sophia Marcus," he began, "Mia bella canzone. I will never hurt you. I will never make you choose between me, or your family and friends, or anything else you love for that matter. I will never lay a hand on you the way that low life did. There will never be a day that I won't be there for you, whether we're together or not. I am going to be there for you, so you're life can be more than the hurt he caused you."

I thought Levi was going to kiss me then, but he didn't. He hugged me. He squeezed me tight, and I wrapped my arms around his neck, and started to cry again. I pulled away, wiping my eyes.

"Me and my stupid tears," I chuckled wryly.

"It's not stupid Sophie," Levi smiled, rolling his eyes at me.

"C'mon here," I said, pulling his face to mine.

Levi backed me into the car, and I pressed my self against him. He held me tightly around the waist, and I clung to Levi as tightly as I dared. behind me I opened the backseat door, and crawled in. Levi followed suit. I lay on my back, with Levi hovering above me, kissing my neck.

Eventually, I slowed down and just held Levi, even though he crushed me.

"Levi.... I don't want to....."

"I know, me neither. Not now, so say no more," he replied, kissing my nose.

"Can we just lay like this for awhile?" I questioned.

"Well, we might want to switch positions. If my calculations are right, I'm probably a bit heavier than you."

I giggled, and we rolled over to move. Levi kept his hands on my lower back, and I leaned my head on his chest, listening to his racing heart.

"What's your middle name?"

"What?" I giggled, "Why?"

"I know all these things about you.....but not something as simple as your middle name."

"It's quite unusual," I told him.

"Tell me."

"Beatrice."

Levi smiled up at me. I shook my head at him, "Don't laugh!"

"I'm not laughing, because mine is way worse."

"What is it?"

The grin on Levi's lips got bigger. "Promise you won't laugh?"

"Well...." I joked. "Tell me."

"Alfonso."

"That's awesome!" I cried. I smiled down at him, and kissed his lips lightly."Levi Alfonso Caro. I love your name."

"Well I love your face," he grinned.

"Oh, he's in it for my face," I said sarcastically, "I found a real winner."

"Sophia Beatrice Marcus."

"Ugh, it's a terrible middle name," I cringed.

"How'd you get it?" He asked.

"My Nanna," I replied.

Levi nodded, "Alfonso is my father's name."

It caught me off gaurd. Levi never talked about his parents. I looked down at him, and he frowned. He looked like he wanted to say something.

"If you don't want to talk about it right now, we won't," I said, "In due time. But I don't want you to feel like you have to spill your guts tonight, just because I did. We'll get there, and I can't wait to hear all about your parents, when you're ready to tell me."

"You really are the best girlfriend. Ever."