Chapter Eight

Samantha’s POV

The rays of the sun swallowed everyone in the office. Some didn’t bother and enjoy the heat it brings to their body. Some seemed uneasy and kept looking at the blinds; maybe wanting to close it but hesitate. I, myself wanted and dying to close it. I don’t like the sunlight much these days. It’s Tuesday morning and I’m bored already with my new job. Trexie informed me, as soon as I was seated on my desk to browse FEATURE writings on every magazine around the globe. She said it’ll give me idea on what to write and how to write it. She doesn’t know I was a feature writer way back in college. However, she got a point though, this is a establish magazine not just a college school paper. I log-in to my flat screen computer and started to open up my browser. I navigated Google.com; the know-it-all site. It opened abruptly and I was surprise of its speed. It must’ve cost them plenty of money to get the faster speed.

“Hmmmm. What’s the first magazine to look for?” I asked myself.

I’m definitely lost for words to search the Internet. I started to drum my fingers on the table. Then a light bulb went on. Vogue! I typed it and Google showed a lot of results. Then I started from there. My eyes stung and my fingers were rigid already after couple of hours. I leaned back and closed my eyes for a while. A minute later I heard everyone hassling and talking loudly. “Where are you going to take your lunch?” I heard someone asked to someone else. I glance at the wall clock and confirmed the time. 12 noon.

I rubbed my eyes and put on my headphones. I saw everyone left for lunch. I turned on my iPod and let my playlist play. I’m not that hungry yet. Lexie said she needed somewhere and cannot go on lunch with me. I lay my head back again and let the music take control. From The Script to The Fray to Daughtry and shuffled with Kina Grannis, my playlist went on. Then all of a sudden a recorded voice plays on. It startled me. It’s a familiar voice.

“Hey Sexy!” He said with a soft laugh. “Surprise yet? Happy birthday baby.” He said. I knew him. AJ recorded this the day before my 21st birthday. How come it’s still here? My heart cut open again but I still continue to listen to his voice. “I know we have been through a lot and you seemed want to give up. Please don’t. I know we can last forever if you want.” Then he giggles. It melted my heart. He sounded happy. My heart burn with tears and I let it fall. I let myself savor the moment he’s happy and the uttered sweetness on this recording. “From the bottom of my heart, I love you even if it cut so deep. I’ll be a masochist for you. Happy birthday Sam.”

I found myself sobbing after those undeniably sweet words, not to mention the effort of smuggling my iPod just to download it. Those were the days. The next track on my iPod made my sobbing worst. “I’ve given up on you” by Real Friends. I let myself suffer in agony and regrets. I let my barriers crumbled down ‘till I’m satisfied with the pain it infected me.  I looked at the wall clock; it has been 45 minutes passed 12. I let out a depressed sigh. I cried that long? I forced myself to calm down. Anytime from now, everyone will be coming back from lunch. I went to the office pantry and fill my cup with water. I also bought some crackers from the vending machine.

I did the necessary things before settling on the Internet again; freshen up, used the bathroom and emptied the cup of water. I was about to search for magazines again but Trexie showed up.

“Hello again, Ms. Garcia.” She’s not wearing glasses and the usual short blond hair. She smiled at me and for a moment there I can see she look confuse. It makes me wonder what’s wrong with my face. “Mr. Henderson wants to meet you now.” She continued.

I was taken aback. Of all time, he chooses to meet me when I’m in the midst of drama and bitter-sad. “Okay.” I said, realizing that I have no choice. “I’ll be there in 5 minutes. I just have to finish something.” I feel my eyes are tight from crying and it makes me feel sleeping. I wonder how you get sleepy after you cried. I studied my face in my hand mirror. My eyes still red and puffy but all in all it will take time to notice that I just cried.