Chapter 7: "First Recollection"

Covered Court Unofficial Opening Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGPqcNNj1EM&feature=youtu.be

It was almost ten years ago where I could still remember being one of the thousand aspiring Todai applicants that swarmed the bulletin boards stationed near the red gate, impatiently waited for the test results to be posted. Most of us walked back and forth in distress while others ran in circles.

For an otaku like me, killing boredom was easy. Packed with several volumes of my favorite magical girl manga inside my green sling bag, I was good to go.

Several minutes passed as I reached the last page of the manga I was reading at the moment when a fat guy accidentally stomped on my feet. It was so painful that I threw up the manga. He seemed to be a nice guy for apologizing after what he did. I couldn't ask for his name because he suddenly left afterwards.

Just as I was about to read the next volume, one of the school representatives walked by the area and brought with his the lists of the students who got accepted. Upon posting the lists, the people raged forward hoping that they have passed.

Since I was shorter back then, shorter than my height now, I couldn't penetrate the swarming crowd. The moment I started to lose hope, I noticed that my body suddenly rose and a force placed me over an elevated object. I shove my head downwards and saw hair, lots of it. And then I realized I was being carried by that fat guy I encountered earlier.

"You wanted to see the results, right?" he asked.

I couldn't answer him because I was terrified by how huge he was. He looked like a monster. Whatever my expression was at that time, he helped me reach the ends of the humongous crowd using his humongous size. As we took over the front area, I grabbed the opportunity to look for my name on the lists posted. People were complaining, shouting on how unfair it was for us to overtake them. But that didn't stop me from what I was doing.

I sighed in dismay as I couldn't find my name after having searched on all of the lists. I looked at the fat guy carrying me and heard him calling out names with his low voice. My ears erected after hearing him mention my name. I immediately crawled down to his hips and asked where he saw my name.

"What's your name?" he asked.

How stupid of me to ask him when I even haven't told him my name. "Akuma... It's Akuma Kochibi..."

He laughed and made a pun out of my name, "I didn't know that the son of the demon was a shorty like you."

I never knew why I wasn't able to get mad at him, but seeing his smile changed my impression of him.

"Kochibi, huh? It's number 6723." he added.

I directed my eyes to where he pointed his right index finger. My number was there, it was really there. I couldn't believe it. I passed! Right before I could thank him for helping me out, I didn't notice that I was already standing on the ground. He disappeared, again. I mean, how could a big guy vanish like that without getting noticed?

None of that have mattered anymore since I focused on congratulating myself and the other passers for getting accepted in Todai.

Several days have passed since then, I started my college life. Despite being an anime otaku, I challenged myself by taking up Architecture. You could say I'm in it for the T-Square, using it as a sword during my delusional playtime.

The course itself was difficult, but I had to choose that course for the sake of my mother. She wanted me to take over her small architectural firm. I focused on studying during weekdays and save the otaku stuff during the weekends. This was the cycle I followed all throughout the semester.