Chapter 36 - Family Christmas

I don't remember much from the night I demanded Keiran to let me out of the car by the snowy road side, apart from being picked up by a pair of strong, warm, arms when I couldn't go any further.

Though none of it seemed to matter. A week passed and more and more family gathered in the bungalow for the Christmas season. Each family member brought their part of the Christmas tradition. Dad's parents bought the tree, mum's brought the tree decorations, my cousin Joe and his wife brought the mince pies and my uncle Gary brought the Christmas lights for outside the house. All that was really left to do was for me, mum and Denise to cook Christmas dinner. This year was going to be different though. This year there'd be not just one extra place set, but two. One was simply a highchair for four month old little Jeremy and the other was beside me, for Lee.

Dad had gone crazy with the mistletoe and no one dared stop in any doorway. Mum had gone nuts with the Christmas shopping. We had carrots and sprouts galore.

"Is this really necessary mum?" Denise readjusted her hold on Jeremy as she complained yet again about all the food and the amount of time she was acquired to be in the kitchen.

"Denise it's a tradition. Give Jeremy to your father for a couple of hours." Mum turned her back on Denise and I had to try my hardest not to laugh as I watched both of their reactions. Mum rolled her eyes and Denise pulled faces at mum's back. I just continued to slice carrots, attempting not to giggle.

Without a sound a pair of arms wrapped themselves around my waist and made me jump so much that I nearly chopped the end of my finger off. I couldn't keep the giggles in any longer. I burst into laughter and found Lee stood behind me.

"How about, Denise takes Jeremy for a bit of mummy, baby time, and I help out in here?"

"Does tradition mean nothing in your family?" Mum slammed the knife she was using down in a grump.

"My family was never much for being together. Dad was always off drinking, mum died after my sister was born and my brother was in and out of juvenile detention centres for most of his teenage life." Lee shrugged and mum softened slightly. Then she nodded and waved Denise away. Mum went back to cutting potatoes, while I handed Lee the bag of sprouts and a pan.

"There'll be no canoodling in my kitchen though do you understand." Mum didn't even look up from potatoes. "And make sure you was those sprouts before you score and put them in the pot."

"Yes, ma'am." Lee winked and took the colander from me. He took that and the sprouts to the sink. I returned to chipping carrots, finally suppressing the giggles.

The usual hustle and bustle and noise surrounded the table at lunch and for once I wasn't the centrepiece of every conversation. Instead, Denise and Jeremy were and I couldn't help but feel smug about it. Every year up to now, I had always been the main talking point. When was I getting myself a boyfriend? When was I getting married? Should I really be studying with my mental health? Should I really be at home with my mental health? For years it had always been about me. This year it was all. About Denise, Jeremy and Craig, Jeremy's dad. Why did he leave? Does he pay towards his care? Does he see Jeremy? Will Jeremy grow up k owing his father or not? Would Denise look for another father for Jeremy? Question after question was asked and I could see the irritation rising in Denise's face.

Like me, my sister hated being centre of attention, and while the family was happy to pass Jeremy round like a doll, they all judged her on what she had done. Many people had warned her about what Craig was like, but Denise being Denise had to give him a chance. He'd turned out to be exactly what she'd been warned of and, of course, she still couldn't see past her own ability to believe that there was good in every person.

Half way through the meal it became very apparent she couldn't deal with it anymore. She took Jeremy from his highchair and stormed off to her room. I excused myself from the table and hurried after her. She'd put Jeremy in his play cot with his favourite brightly coloured toys and was furiously packing a suitcase.

"Den?" I hadn't called her Den since I was six years old but it seemed like a good thing to do. She stopped packing and smiled at me through the tears streaming down her face. "Where are you going?"

She ushered me into the room and shut the door.

"I'm going to Craig's. His parents will help me out. They're a lot more likely to be kinder to me."

"Den, we all love you. The rest of the family are just finding it difficult to approach. Like when it was all about me, they didn't know how else to approach it." I could hear everyone moving from the kitchen to the living room. Denise sat down beside the suitcase on her bed. "Come on Den, we'll miss the present exchanges. I've got you something I'm sure going to love." I jumped up from the bed and lifted Jeremy form his play cot. "And I've got something for you too little man." I brushed my nose over his, making him giggle. I put him on my hip and headed towards to door. The I looked over his shoulder and smiled at Denise. She wiped her eyes and smiled back.

Her eyes didn't stay dry for long. I'd scripted and saved (and borrowed off of uncle Jack) to get her a necklace with a small diamond in, along with a second necklace and a piece of paper explaining that the diamonds in the necklaces were two halves of one diamond and that the other necklace was to give to someone dear, someone she couldn't live without. With tees in her eyes once more, she threw her arms around me and held me for what seemed like a lifetime. Despite the six years age difference, we had always gotten along so well. She gave me the second necklace and handed me the gift she'd gotten me. It was a pretty rose gold bracelet with a little cubic zirconia tree. I put it on immediately.

Once all the family had all handed out their gifts there's was only one left under the tree. It was a small square red box tied with a gold ribbon decorated with little white snowflakes. The petite label had delicate curvaceous writing.

Lily, with all my love, Lee.

I looked up at him and he smiled.

"Open it." He moved to sit beside me with little Jeremy on his knee. I untied the golden bow and opened the box with such care it seemed to take hours. Inside was a leather bracelet with a small carved wood wolf charm.

"Made the charm myself. A little reminder for when I'm not around in the summer." He whispered the second part so that only I could hear. "Merry Christmas princess." He leant over and kissed my cheek.