Chapter 10 - Reliving Bad Memories

Adam went to check that no one had seen his miraculous appearance, leaving my skin tingling from his touch. Lee went to walk around the building and shoved the leash and collar into my stomach, winding me.

"Never take a wolf from the woods, especially not in All Hallows' eve." He hissed the whispered words into my ear. I choked on my sudden exhale of air.

"Touch her again, and I'll break your fingers!" Adam's hands were on me again; one on my forearm, the other rubbing circles on my back. As my breathing steadied my stomach growled. "You hungry?"

"Starving." I replied without even thinking about it.

"Come on, I'll buy us all dinner." He took hold of my hand and glared at Lee. My heart fluttered once again and my stomach filled with tiny butterflies.

"I should let my cousin know I'm leaving." I pointed my thumb over my shoulder and Lee sniggered, muttering 'typical' under his breath. I wanted so much in the second to slap he smug look off his face. "You know what she's having fun, I'll leave her be." Adam's fingers slipped through mine as he began to round the building. Lee narrowed his eyes at me. I smirked and flipped him the birdie. His nose twitched and his mouth tightened. I shrugged a single shoulder and ran after Adam, entwining my fingers with his as I caught up with him.

We walked up to a quaint little pub called the Golden Arch. Most of the lights were out as it was gone closing hours.

"My great uncle George owns this place. Gave up his wolf to keep it." Adam smiled sadly down at me for a moment and then knocked on the old oak door.

"We're closed moron, can't y'all read!" A female Nashville, Texan accent came through the door.

"Hey Aunt Gracie, it's Adam." Adam leant his left shoulder on the left side of the doorway. Various locks and bolts slid and clinked. The door creaked as it opened.  Beyond the door stood a petite woman with silvery strands of hair blending into her golden blonde hair, that framed her face. She looked to be in her late fifties. Her forget-me-not blue eyes sparkled with hidden youth and her smile genuine and full of compassion. She wore faded denim jeans long enough to hide most of her heeled cowboy boots, with a pink and white checkered blouse. She looked as though she'd just stepped out of the stables on her ranch back in Texas.

"Oh sweetie look at you! Look how you've grown." She hugged Adam so tightly I though she might actually be able to crush him. When she let go of him she turned to Lee, who was a sour faced as child who'd been scolded for stealing sweets. "And look at you, face like a slapped ass. What's wrong with you?" For an older woman she had a lot of sass. Then she turned to me, a welcoming smile on her face. "And who would you be, darlin'?"

"My name  is Lily, ma'am." The lady smiled wider and chuckled as she let us in.

"Well, someone still knows how to respect people." She chuckled again as she led us to a round table in the corner. "So, what can I get y'all?"

Adam and Lee had soon eaten three entire plates of pork chops before I'd even managed to finish one plate of spaghetti Bolognese.  Gracie had told us we could help ourselves to whatever we wanted while she went to clean the guest rooms for us.

"I'm gonna go see uncle George." Adam gave Lee's shoulder a tap and headed though a door. I stood up to get myself another can of coke and was promptly pinned against the wall.

For a moment I was too stunned to do anything. When I regained myself, I took a deep calming breath and nearly choked of the vial smell of alcohol. Lee's entire body was pressed up against mine and his face was just centimetres away for my own.

"All I told you to do was leave him alone." He whispered in my ear making me feel violently sick. I placed my hands squarely on his chest and shoved him. He stumbled slightly.

"And what else would you have me do?" I spoke through gritted teeth as he stepped closer to me once again.

"Me." I slapped him. Straight across his smarmy face. He stumbled back again. "Oh come on princess. We both know you're nowhere near as innocent as you pretend to be. I can smell him all over you." There was a slimy grin on his face and I wanted nothing more than to punch him. "Was it good. Do you just thirst for more." I pushed him away again as the stairs creaked.  The noise distracted Lee for just long enough for me to slip under his arm and run out of the building.

Once the cold air hit my face, I slammed my back against the cold brick wall behind me. I tried to steady my breathing as I held in tears. I couldn't show weakness, not now. Not when I'd come so far. But did fear really count as weakness? Lee had known what I had done, he knew what I couldn't forget. I took another deep breath and closed my eyes.

"Come on babe, just one drink. It's not going to hurt you." Keiran waved the bottle under my nose again. "Just one little sip. Go on." I snatched the bottle from him and downed what was left. I handed the bottle back and his face was a picture of surprise.

"Take me home now, I've had enough of this shit." I shouted over the pounding music.

"We both know that's not a good idea. Your mum hates me."

"Yeah, well dad's working away and mum's in another guys bed so whatever."

We'd both known it wouldn't end innocently, we also knew that I was in no position to make the choice I did. We both knew he had taken advantage of the situation. I sank down the wall and sat on the cold ground, my knees curled up to my chest. I keep my eyes closed as I rocked back and forth, trying to keep the tears from falling.

There was shouts coming from inside and then nothing. The door beside me flew open. I snivelled and tried to calm my breathing.

"Lily?" I refused still, to open my eyes. I couldn't bring myself to face him. Not now. Not when he knew what I'd done, because no doubt Lee had divulged that little fact to his best friend.

"Lily please." He touched my forearm gently and tiny fireworks danced up my arm.

"I-I w-was in n-no fit s-state to make that choice that night." I stumbled over the cried words. I didn't even have to open my eyes to know Adam had knelt beside me and wrapped his arms around my shoulders. He put his chin on my head and began to shush me as though he were soothing a crying infant.

"I know. I know." He kissed he top of my head and just held me.