Chapter Nine

The first time I awoke, or thought I awoke, I was in a dark and damp room. I was chained and tied to a wooden chair. I was alone. I screamed out, but it was useless. The room itself was big, but unoccupied. There was nothing but me and the stone brick walls. I couldn't even find the door. I screamed again, just to keep my mind sane. I couldn't let the whole pack down. Not when I just arrived. 

     "Anna? Anna!" I heard a familiar voice whisper. It didn't sound like Luke, though. It was a woman's voice. I couldn't actually identify it, though. "Anna! My God, do you really think you can die now when you just got a pack? I mean, come on. First you make him wait like 5 years for you and now you make them worry by nearly DYING. Twice. I can hear your heartbeat. You aren't dead. Now prove it. Wake up." 

    I had the urge to laugh, but I found I couldn't. I closed my eyes and suddenly I felt the difference in the air. It was no longer cold or dark. It was light, and it was welcoming. My eyelids were heavy, but I forced them open. I wanted to find the source of the voice. I wanted to know who it was. 

     However, when I opened them for the first time I was blinded. The lights were too bright. I closed them again, but this time only for a moment. I reopened them slowly and peered around the room. It seemed to be one of the bedrooms inside the Pack House though I was only assuming. The first thing my eyes saw was Luke sitting in the chair next to my bed. He seemed to be dozing off. I wanted to reach out and mess with his untidy hair, but couldn't find the strength to. I continued to look around the room when I spotted another person on the other side of my bed. It was Bree. 

     She wasn't looking at me. She was looking at her phone, but that second she looked up and her worried face instantly changed to one of relief. 

     "Anna! Thank God! Your entire pack went haywire. They thought you died! They were calling for all of the best physicians in all the packs to come and treat you. I just got here last night with my mate, Brent." She explained. My eyebrows scrunched. She wasn't leaving Grenwich for at least another week. Right? 

     "Wait, you had two weeks left in Grenwich... Didn't you?" I asked her, my voice groggy. She smiled a small sympathetic smile and nodded. 

     "You've been in a coma for two weeks, Anna." 

     I don't know if it was from just waking up or from hunger or exhausion, but I stayed silent. I didn't process what she just said. I stared at her. After a moment, I blinked. "Wait, come again." 

     "You've been here in this room in a coma for two weeks." She repeated. Her eyes shown with sympathy, but I didn't really want to see that. I wanted her to come out and say "Psych!" But, to my dismay, she didn't. 

     I closed my eyes, remembering the room I woke in. I shook my head. "No, no I wasn't. I wasn't here the whole time. I was in a dark room. I was chained. I couldn't have been here the whole time."

     She stared at me. "No, you were here. Ask your mate. He was with you the entire time." 

     "But--" 

    I was cut off by a low grunting noise coming from the other side of the bed. I looked over at Luke, to see him just waking up. He glanced at me and then to Bree, not actually seeing me awake. After a moment, he looked back to me and flew up from his chair. He leaned forward and gently grabbed my face between his two large hands and stared at me, taking in every single feature. 

     "You're awake." He breathed, leaning in and capturing my lips in a passionate kiss. Bree bit her lip and stood from her seat. 

    "I'll just... uh...go find Brent." She said before scampering out the door. I didn't really notice or care. I was only focused on my mate. He continued to kiss all over my face, rejoicing.