Chapter Eight

"Never underestimate the power of distraction. If a soldier is untrained, they can easily get confused if something throws them off." Luke explained, clutching me to his chest as I tried to level my breathing.  "Don't think about it. It's fine. Just stay calm."

    I thrashed against his hold, lamely and weakly. I'm not actually sure if I was trying to escape. "This can't be happening.... No, no, no... It's not possible. They were right behind us and then... How could this happen?" I asked, though I knew I didn't want the answer. I looked into his eyes and silently pleaded for him to lie, to say something that would make everything better, but I knew he couldn't. 

    "We are under attack every day," was all he replied, though his eyes begged me to understand. I closed my eyes, only to immediately force them back open when the sight of the burning car flashed under my eyelids. I could see the faces of my new pack members as I saw them usher me into this car and get into the one behind, and now I could see them on fire and burning. 

     We had already switched cars with some Evermore soldiers who were en route to us already. We know had three of our cars surronding us and one car back at the crash, investigating.

     "Were they trying to hit us?" I whispered, looking out of the window. His fist clenched as he wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me to him. He engulfed me into his embrace and breathed in my scent. 

     "Yes." He told me, but his voice was forced. "I suspect that Andersen sidetracted them for the one moment that it took for us to get into this car and he assumed we were with...the others." 

     "Is this how it will always be? Will I always be targeted?" I asked. He buried his head in my shoulder and let out a soft growl.

     "I'm sorry. I'm so very sorry that I cannot provide a safer life for you." He whimpered, but then he picked his head back up and stared deep into my eyes. "However, you can know that I will do everything in my power to protect you and everyone we love. I will get revenge for anyone who has hurt any of us and they will wish they had never even seen the light of day." 

     His eyes were warm, but underneath I saw a hard wall blocking me from his heart. He was as angry about this as I was. I saw a monster, a wolf. It was within him and it was terrifying. But, at the same time, it wasn't. I knew he wouldn't hurt me, but I definitely wouldn't say the same for anyone outside of our pack. 

     "I will help. It's my pack, too. I won't let anyone get away with this. I can't. "  

     He blinked, as if in a daze. A small, small smile found its way to his face slowly as he let out a small laugh. "Now, now, Tiger. First off, we have to get you safe. The only way we will get any sort of retaliation is when you are the safest." 

    I frowned, though I wasn't stupid. I figured as much. "So I can't do anything?" I asked spitefully. 

    He shook his head, aggravated. "I'm sure there is something, but you have to be alive and safe for that to happen. I won't let anything hurt you. I love you." 

     It was the first time he had said it. A smile spread across my face despite all that was happening. "Say it again."

     He grinned and immediately complied. "I love you." 

     I leaned in and kissed his nose. "I love you, too." 

     "We're almost there." He told me, as I leaned against his chest. I breathed, trying to cope with everything. 

     "Tell me about yourself." I asked him abruptly. He glanced down at me. "It's just, I don't know hardly anything about you, other than the stuff about you waiting for me and you training."