Summer of Love

Summers filled with breaking the rules, standing apart, ignoring your head, and following your heart...

"Megan!" My dad screamed my name for the thousandth time, as if I hadn't heard his loud booming voice the first hundred times.

"I'm coming! Chill." I yelled out making sure he heard me.

I gathered the rest of my things; my clothes, iPod, that one stuffed animal you can't leave home, and everything else that could be masterfully crammed into my various suitcases. Today marked the beginning of a boring, obnoxious, plain, and boring summer. I was headed to the beach with my father, and my lovely stepmother. If you didn't understand the sarcasm trust me, it was there. For some reason, unknown to me, I was not allowed to stay home all summer alone while my mom was over seas on business. I could get my cousin to entertain me, she's interesting...exuberant or crazy...whatever floats your boat.

Walking down the stairs I dragged my various pieces of luggage while my parents just stared at me.

A) Staring at people is rude and creepy.

B) Um hello? A little help is necessary I think.

C) Still creepy...

"Finally! Gosh Megan you take forever!" My stepmother so helpfully told me. I really wonder why I took forever, I have four bags, and yet only one of me.

"A little help?" I finally squeaked trying to carry things that weighed about as much as me.

"Oh right!" My dad grabbed one of the bags from my arms hastily. Took him long enough, were has chivalry gone? I carried the rest of the bags and plopped them on the ground. Hopefully no one will trip over those, but it could lead to entertainment, something considered rare these days.

In the next ten, give or take fifty, minutes we managed to load all the various packages of food and suitcases into our beat up suburban. Yay now I get to sit in a boring car with my amazingly wonderful parents. I was so glad they weren't the type to make me sing show tunes with them the whole way there. That would be torture, I rather carry more of those darn suitcases.

I spread my legs across the leather seats of the back area, I'm so glad I have no siblings, sharing is no fun. I just sat there thinking and calculating. I was going to be here from the end of May to the middle of August. It seemed like so much time but I knew it would go quick. Then I would be off to Bellmont to start a new life. The thought of change was scary, different, new. For most of my life I spent my time annoying my father and stepmother, doing stuff with my mother. Change was scary and some I wasn't accustomed to. Sure things change all the time but this was a huge change, one I wasn't sure i was ready for.

"Megan! Megan! MEGAN!" I snapped out of my reverie and looked around.

"Are we here already?" Man I must have really zoned out.

My dad laughed, "no we're at Dairy Queen to get lunch." Why were we at Dairy Queen? I don't think I had even ever been to a Dairy Queen before. What happened to good old McDonalds?

I hopped out of the car and almost fell to the rough gravel ground, my legs were so wobbly. How long had we even been driving? I looked at the dingy Dairy Queen and shivered, I bet they don't use real chicken, or maybe there ice cream is made like dehydrated milk. Ew!

I followed my parents, no one held the door for me. Well then. As I ripped the stupidly heavy door open I almost tripped and got smushed between the doors, they must be possessed.

"Megan? What do you want to eat?" Well thanks for asking me, before I even had a chance to stare at the menu for at least 2 seconds. I picked some chicken sandwich that looked super crisp and yummy in the picture but I knew once I pulled it out of the paper bag it would just magically lose it's vibrance. Just magically.

The chicken wasn't horrible, I guess. Whatever. After I ate some, or a bite, of that I went back into the line to try the dehydrated milk ice cream. The cone actually looked decent when they handed it to me. I licked it, carefully, afraid it might try to attack me if I ate it too quickly.

The ice cream was actually pretty good, I liked it. I sat back down, trying not to touch the sticky table. There was another table about five feet from mine, it contained two boys. One looked to be tall and well built, he had blonde hair with hints of gold in it. The other one was a bit scrawnier, he had curly brunette hair and chocolate brown eyes, he had the look of a puppy. I think I'd feel really bad if I kicked him.

They were laughing really hard and looked to be goofing off. Silly boys.

"Megan!" My dad yelled, again.

"Yes?" I asked trying to not bring anymore attention to our table.

"Let's go!" I looked back over to the boys and noticed them looking at me. I got up from the table to throw away my trash. As I walked back the blonde one decided to talk to me.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?" I rolled my eyes, they just had to be players, of course.

The brown haired guy burst into a bout of giggles. I bet he was gay. The player and the gay guy that's new.

"Back off player!" I stormed back to my table to find it empty. Thanks for waiting for me guys! I appreciate it greatly! I walked to the car to find it running and ready to go. I hopped into it and slammed my door.

"Hormones" I could hear my dad whisper under his breath. Rude.

I sat in silence for another twenty minutes before grabbing my phone. It's time to vent. I picked the name Taylor.

Me: Hey

She replied within seconds. Children these days...always on their phones.

Taylor: Heyyyyyy!!!!!!!!

Me: guess wut!

Taylor: what??? Tell me!!! Tell me!!!!

Me: saw two hot guys at Dairy Queen

Taylor: I dub them Mr. HotDairyQueenGuy 1 and 2

And then like that I was laughing all the way to the beach.