Tantalizing Desires Past Midnight (Chapter 11)

"Two vampires were killed in the havoc wrecked tonight," Maximum stated, voice ice-cold as he leaned back in his armchair, crossing his arms over his chest. "But Raphael and William were troublemakers, so they are the least of my concern." He glanced over at Josette and Alejandro; and they bowed their heads, dematerializing out of the room. 

Holding out his hand, he beckoned. "Sabrina, please come here." With her gaze lowered to the ground, she marched over to stand right beside him, still trembling. "Alezander, what in your right mind made you think that it would be good that our Queen go hunting with us?" 

Keeping his head held high, Zander replied. "I don't know," When Max's brows creased angrily, he added hastily. "Your Highness." 

"Max," Sabrina spoke up as clearly as she could through her bandages covering her face. "It wasn't Zander's fault that I was outside. I," she gulped when his stern eyes glimpsed up at her. "I found my way out. I was curious." 

Glaring at his younger brother, Maximum snarled. "So you are telling me that Alezander saved your life?" 

She nodded, hoping that Zander would look at her. Except he seemed to be staring at everything else BUT her. "Yes, Max. If Zander HADN'T been the one to find me, I wouldn't be here right now." 

Taking in a deep breath, and letting it out slowly, Max peered over at him, his chin resting on his knuckles. "Then I suppose I should be thanking you instead of scolding you, huh?" 

Z shrugged his shoulder. "It's all up to you, Sire. You could scold me now for when I interrupted the meeting." 

Her knees buckled and she collapsed to the ground. How could she have forgotten the meeting and what Max had done to that poor rogue. He had been pleading for forgiveness and a new shot at life. He was willing to leave everything behind and start anew. "You didn't even give him a second chance." She murmured, eyes wide as she covered her face with her hands. 

"What?" Max slouched down, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her into him. "What are you talking about, Sabrina?"

Staggering up to her feet, she pointed accusingly at him. "He BEGGED for you to give him a second chance and you killed him!" She pressed her lips together to collect herself. "You didn't even give him a chance to speak." 

"How do you know about that?" He interrogated, rising as well, eyes narrowing. "You were instructed to be guarded." 

"By Aubri?" She snickered. "You've got to be kidding me. I outrunned her in seconds, Max." 

Before Max could say anything else, another voice cut him off. "He didn't spare Tor Wood because of the crimes he did. Didn't you hear that he killed families, children?" Zander stared her down; but this time, she refused to look away. She was too stunned to reply. Was he AGREEING with Max? "The only reason I'M still allowed to live is because I ran away before they could give me a trail and returned like this. Why would they kill the King's younger brother?" 

Parting her lips to speak, Zander shook his head. "Maximum was right when he bitch-slapped me in front of the Council. I shouldn't have said anything. The rogue DESERVED to die." He slitted those violet eyes, the air around her chilling. 

Her next words had the entire room frozen, Zander gritting his teeth and Max's eyes widened.

"I saw Patience." 

She gasped when he flitted across the room, right behind her. "You're lying." He hissed, the temperature plummetting to below zero as he pressed his back to hers. "Patience is long gone. 

YOU'RE A LIAR, SABRINA!" 

"I'm not lying, Zander!" She cried, turning around. 

But he ignored her, smashing his fist against Max's desk, shattering the edge to splinters. "I don't believe you, then! You CAN'T say things like that to me, Sabrina?!" He glared over his shoulder at her, those eyes fixated to a deep crimson and pitch. "Don't you understand that I fell because I thought she was gone? I slaughtered innocent people because she had been taken away from me."