Chapter 17

*Xander's PoV*

Work is shitty some days. That's the only thing I can think of as I leave the studios after working all day. Being around Emilee is both a blessing and a curse. I love working with her, seeing her almost everyday, being able to talk to her here and there off set. I rejoice in it. But at the same time, it causes me immense pain.

I slide into my car after I've opened the doors, but I don't bother to start it. My eyes turn back to the entrance doors like they've done every day for the past month. I've learned to park closer to the doors so I can get a better view. The doors open and I see Emilee walking through. My heart shakes when I look at her face. She's smiling, giggling about something that she heard or saw. And right next to her is Somerhalder.

He's holding her hand tightly, she's swinging it a little as they walk through the doors. She stops, not entering the street as she starts to talk to him. To him. Not to me, to him. I feel sick. I don't understand why I let myself watch this every day. I tell myself that its just another excuse to see her, but the joy of seeing her is almost drowned out by the pain of seeing her with him.

He lifts her hand up to his lips and kisses the top of it. She's beaming. Absolutely beaming. She's so happy with him, and it breaks my heart more than words can say. She's so beautiful, she's radiant. He leads her to his car, and she's still smiling. He opens the door for her, waiting for her to get into the car. She doesn't, instead leaning over to kiss him. I gulp, watching, and I swear I can feel the ghostly touch of her lips against mine.

He places both of his hands on either side of the car, pressing up against her. She lifts up those hands of hers, the ones that are always so soft. She holds his face close to hers and even from here I can see her thumb moving back and forth across his cheek. My hand reaches up to my face, as if I'm trying to grab her hand from times long gone, times just like that.

He pulls away slightly, then leans in and kisses her once more before stepping back. Her hands drop to her sides and she gets in the car, with him closing the door behind her. He sits in the drivers seat and they leave the parking lot. They take the car back to the highway, looking to me like they're headed for Em's house.

Today is Thanksgiving Day. Not much to give thanks for, at least, when I see things like that. Once I'm home, I check my home phone's answering machine to see that I have messages. There's a few from my family up in Canada, all wishing me a happy Thanksgiving and telling me how much they miss me. There's one from one of my buddies, asking me to go to a party tonight. Slowly I delete the messages until I hear the last one.

Its from my agent, Gina. She refuses to give me any information, instead asking that I call her. As the number is dialing I delete the message. She never gives me information in a message. Always over the phone or by face to face. She picks up on the second ring; "Alexander?"

"Yeah Gina... Its me. What's up?" I can hear her business tone enter her voice immediately. "Your attention. That's what. Ever since Miss Thorn became your counterpart in Persuasive, people want to know how she feels about it, especially since she's working beside you. Its a big deal and you've been pushed to the back burner. I'm not going to allow that."

"Gina-" I really don't mind the quietness from the public. Its actually a bit of a relief. Most of my life I've had to deal with press of some sort and now, its relaxing to not have to worry about it. "No Alexander. No. We're going to change it. And I know just how." My hand rubs my face, my eyes closing. The last time she said that, everything was crazy. She made me do some pretty insane stuff and I really don't want to do it again.

"Gina, seriously its fine." I can hear her sigh before she responds. "I already have everything set up. You're going to have a girlfriend." My eyes pop open in shock. What the hell...? "What...? A.. a girlfriend?" I can swear she's rolling her eyes. "Did I stutter? I spoke to her agent and Meredith thinks its a great idea."

My mind gives me an image of Meredith Richards, an actress that's slowly getting bigger. She's seventeen and a half, which makes me wonder if Gina really wants me to date an underage actress. So I ask, "Meredith Richards?" Gina laughs, short and sudden. "Meredith is her agent Alexander. Your date is Taylor Woods." I take a seat on my living room couch. "The singer?"

"That's the one." Taylor and I have known each other since my freshman year at USC, and its been three years since then. She's had a crush on me for as long as I can remember, and she's a nice girl, but I don't like her like this. I groan at the thought of dating her. I'm not sure if I can handle it. She's going to be all over me I know it.

"Gina?" I ask, searching for a way out of this "Hmm?" I swallow, rubbing my eyes before I continue. "Is.. is there some way that I can date someone else? Or even better, no one at all? Because I really don't want to be in a relationship for a while. I just want to work."

"You can work. And get people noticing you again at the same time. You have a date with Miss Woods tomorrow evening at eight. Do not be late Alexander, and I mean that. Happy Thanksgiving!" She hangs up without letting me respond. I slowly put the phone down on my lap, staring up at the ceiling. Right. Happy Thanksgiving.