Chapter 25: Dying and Still Kicking Ass

A/N: Yeah, you all pretty much freaked out at the end of the last chapter. Sorry about that ;P but it was pretty funny to see your guy's reactions. Anyway, so, as always, tell me what you think of the chapter and whatnot.

Cas's POV:

I stare at Kristy for several moments before I'm able to choke words out.

"Why would you say that?"

She sends me a worried look before pulling over into a gas station.

"I'll be right back so I can show you," she says and gets out the car.

I don't think she realizes I can see her out the window because when she gets outside, she tips sideways and has to hold the side of the car. She shakes her head once and continues inside. Her steps are cautious, but strong and balanced again. I frown the entire time.

Kristy is gone for a total of 4 and a half minutes. When she does come back she's looking pensively at a rectangular box in her hands, turning it over and reading it.

When she finally gets back in the car, she starts it up and gets on the highway.

"What did you want to show me?" I ask but her phone rings.

She rolls her eyes, but as soon as she reaches for it, someone cuts in front of our car, making her grip the wheel and do some impressive manuevering.

"Uh, Cas, do you mind getting that? It's in the pocket closest to you," she tells me as she speeds up.

I reach over and pull the vibrating contraption from her pants pocket.

"You can answer it," she says, then swears and slams her hand down on the horn.

I stare at her for a second, but she doesn't say anything. She's extremely intense when she wants to be. I answer the phone without waiting any longer.

"Hello?" I say.

"Cas," Dean says, sounding surprised, "where's Kris, not that I'm not glad to hear from you..."

"She's driving. She asked me to pick up."

"Alright, tell her we're going after Pestilence with Crowly."

"The demon, Crowly?" I ask unhappily.

Kristy glances at me as she gets onto the Interstate and the cars thin out until we're the only ones on the road.

"Yeah," Dean answers and tells me where they are.

Before I can say goodbye he hangs up. It's a habit I notice that all of them have-Kristy included.

"Who was it and what did they want?" Kris asks, her eyes trained on her road.

I relay Dean's message to which she nods. After several seconds of silence she reaches into the bag and hands me the little box she was looking at earlier.

"Do you mind opening it and setting it up?" she asks sounding nicer now that we're out of traffic.

I read the directions on the box and do as it tells me, setting up the thermometer and placing on of the clear covers over the end.

"Now what?" I ask.

She holds her hand out and when I give it to her she sticks the end with the silver tip under her tongue and shuts her mouth.

"You measure your temperature that way?" I ask.

She nods, clearly unable to speak with the thermometer in her mouth. After several seconds of silence the thing beeps loudly and rapidly. She pulls it out, glances at the number on the tiny screen and lets out a short, sad breath. She pulls the little plastic cover off and hands the thermometer to me, looking thoroughly upset. I peer at the screen in confusion. 86.6 degrees.