Chapter 11

Bill Westly shouldered his way through a crowd of Marines that were hanging out at a local bar and out onto the street where Rankins, Mendez, Rayne, Zuton, Zorra, Neila, Sorcha, and Cam were waiting.

Westly set down a six pack of beer and they all grabbed one.

"So, the Captain and Qin got themselves assigned to SEAL unit it looks like." Rankins said.

Mendez nodded "Yeah, which means that I'm in charge since I now have the highest rank." She said with a grin.

Westly groaned "Oh great." He said.

Rayne smiled "Well technically I have the higher rank, since I'm a detective and that's above a Staff Sergeant." He said. "But I don't have the slightest idea about tactics and such."

Mendez laughed "So I'm still in charge." She said.

"Yeah yeah, whatever." Cam said.

While they were talking Peri showed up, carrying a long black case. "At attention!" he said.

The group all snapped to attention and saluted the Admiral.

Peri grinned and returned the salute "At ease." He said and the group relaxed. "Mendez, I have a job for your squad. There have been a few aliens spotted sneaking around further into the city. I want you to take you squad along with Frey, Hickerson, and Adams from Faraday's fire team to go clear them out." He told her.

Mendez nodded "Yes sir." She said.

"Also, I have something here for you." Peri said. He knelt down and flipped open the case he had brought with him. Inside of it was a rifle.

The stock and receiver of the gun resembled a SCAR, but it had a 29-inch barrel with top and bottom rails running the length of it. Mounted on the top of the gun was a scope, there was a flashlight that doubled as a laser sight on the side, and a bipod on the bottom.

Peri picked it up and handed it to Mendez. "This is an M-576 DMR. It has a 22 round magazine and fires 7.62x51mm rounds." He said.

Mendez weighed it in her hands "I like it." She said. She set her M-14 DMR into the case where the M-576 had been and slung the new gun on her back. "Thanks Peri." She said to the Admiral.

"No problem." Peri said. He picked up the case and disappeared around the corner of the bar.

Mendez turned back to the rest of her squad "Alright, let's find the others and get going." She said.

About an hour later the squad had been gathered and had just arrived at the area they were supposed to clear. The area was five blocks by five blocks. Most of the buildings were destroyed though, with 2 three-story shops, a 10-story apartment building, and about 20 other one-story buildings.

The squad cleared all of the one and three story buildings without incident, leaving only the apartment to be cleared.

Mendez and Westly approached the front door on either side. Mendez kicked the door in and Westly entered into the building, AA-12 raised. He waved the rest of the team in and they started clearing the first floor. They made their way up to the eighth floor again without incident. The ninth floor passed in the same manner.

As Rankins came out of the last room he glanced around at the others. It was dead silent, the only sound was the buzzing of the fluorescent lights.

"I don't like this. It's too quiet." Frey said. The others nodded.

"They're up there." Hetowa said, pointing up at the tenth floor. "They have to be."

"Then let's get em'." Adams said.

Rayne and Cam lead the entry to the tenth floor. Cam kicked the door in and Rayne rolled into the hallway, the HK416 he had acquired pointed down the hallway. He waved the rest of the team in and they approached the first door.

"Here we go." Rankins muttered as he kicked the door in. Immediately there was a barrage of multicolored gunfire from the aliens that were obviously inside.

"I told you they were up here." Hetowa yelled as he and the rest of the team dove backwards.

"Mendez! I'm going to take Neila and Sorcha and flank." Zorra shouted. Before Mendez could ask how the three aliens had disappeared into the room next door.

Suddenly the wall that was next to the aliens crumbled and Zorra, Neila, and Sorcha came charging through, guns blazing.

It took them a matter of 10 seconds to finish off the aliens that were in the room. They came walking out of the room and Zorra shrugged to Mendez.

"Hey guys, there's more." Cam said suddenly, pointing out the window that was in the room.

"I don't see any-" Rankins was cut off when a sniper round crashed into the wall behind them.

The team dropped to the ground "Good eye." Mendez said to Cam. "Where is he?" She asked.

"The roof of the hotel, on top of an A\/C unit." Cam replied.

Mendez nodded and then proceeded to crawl forward to the window. She snapped the bipod on the M-576 down and flipped the scope covers open. She found the hotel and sure enough there was a sniper on it.

Mendez fired twice, both rounds hitting the enemy sniper. "Gotcha." She said, standing back up.

"Nice shot." Zorra said.

"Thanks" Mendez replied.

Meanwhile, out in the Voltaire Forest, Johnson's team pulled their Humvees into Avon.

They hopped out and looked around at the deserted town. Its streets were covered in leaves, all the buildings had their windows and doors boarded up, and cars sat abandoned.

"Looks like a freaking ghost town." Tucker said.

Grif nodded in agreement and then started unloading the Humvees. The rest of the guys soon joined in and they quickly set up a base camp inside one of the abandoned shops.

It started to rain just as they had gotten everything set up.

"Perfect timing." Qin said as he took apart his sniper to clean it.

Faraday nodded "And now all we have to do is wait." He said.

Wait the team did, for two days before it was time to be called to action one again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A shorter chapter from the previous few, but the next one will be longer. XD Vote, Comment, and tell me what you think!