Chapter 5

Xphol leaned back in her seat as the UNSCs battered fleet came into view "Let's charge straight through them." She said, grinning.

"With pleasure ma'am." Ylant replied.

The USS Overkill led the fleet out of the docks, the Dawn Fire right beside it. "Let's show these bastards who they're messing with." Peri yelled as the fleet of ESN ships headed straight at them. "Charge!"

The two fleets headed straight at each other, neither one deviating from its course, and then they were upon each other.

MAC blasts, plasma bolts, missile trails, and explosions were suddenly everywhere as the fleets met. Some ships collided head on, and others were caught in the crossfire, but the ESN fleet broke through.

"Chase those bastards!" Harem ordered.

The UNSC fleet turned and began pursuing the aliens.

"Target the big one." Peri said to his gunner "And use a nuclear round."

"Yes sir." The gunner replied. A few moments later, the Dawn Fire shuddered as her MAC fired three times at the Ascendant Justice.

The first two rounds collided with the Justice's shield disabling it, and then the third, nuclear round missed and slammed into one of the Justice's escort frigates, destroying it. The shockwave sent debris slamming into the Justice's hull and the EMP from the nuke taking out all the electrical systems on the Justice.

Xphol growled as she nearly fell out of her chair. "Report!" she yelled as the ship went dark.

"All the electrical systems are down ma'am." Ylant replied.

"Shit." Xphol said, attempting to make out the forms around her. "Engineers on this right away!" She shouted.

Kiha jumped and attempted to go out of the bridge, but could not get out the door with the power being down.

Xphol growled, talon-like hands nearly destroying her seat from clenching it so hard.

Ylant stood up, and began walking to where he thought the electrical boxes were, but instead ran right into Xphol's chair, falling face first into her. "Ow." He muttered, raising his head.

Xphol gasped as Ylant fell onto her, and then grinned "Hello there Ylant." She said softly, and when he raised his head, she leaned over and kissed him.

That is when the lights came back on. 

Pretty much everyone on the bridge was staring at Ylant and Xphol.

Ylant quickly stood up and turned around, yelling at the crew while Xphol gave them all death glares. They stopped staring and quickly got back to work.

Ylant returned to his chair "That was awkward." He muttered to himself.

Xphol leaned back in her chair and picked up her drink right as three MAC rounds from the Dawn Fire slammed into the ship. She slammed her drink down, the contents sloshing out.

"Shoot. Them. Now." She growled.

"You might want to hold onto something then." Ylant said as the Dawn Fire roared past them, diving below the ship. 

Ylant put the huge ship into a roll, bringing the port side plasma line to bear on the Dawn Fire and firing.

"Hold on!" Peri yelled as the Justice fired. He rolled the battleship into several insane maneuvers that it could surprisingly do. Nevertheless, two of the bolts still hit the ship, slamming into the side of it.

"Report!" Peri yelled.

"Engines are down to 60% and the MAC is offline." Came the reply.

Peri nodded and watched as the Justice roared past them, Earthbound.

Xphol clutched her chair and grinned as the bolts hit the enemy ship. "Very nice." She said.

Ylant nodded and righted the ship, jamming the throttle to full "Our work here is done." he said. As quickly as it had started, it was done. The alien fleet shot away towards Earth.

Back on the Overkill Harem fell back into his seat and slowly picked up the radio. "All units fall back, fall back." he ordered.

Then he called the president. "Mr. President, containment has failed, request to set alert level to DEFCON 1." Harem said.

"Request granted. All United States Military Forces are now at DEFCON 1." the reply came.

When the orders came over the radio, Peri sank back in his chair. "Shit." he muttered. Then he set the ship on course back to base and stood up. He pulled on his cap and turned around, facing the 50 or so Marines that were in the bridge.

"Well, looks like this is it. Earth is going to be invaded, but that does not mean that we will lose. We will fight till the last man, win or lose, to protect our families, our homes, our lives, and most importantly, our planet." Peri said.

"Oorah!" the Marines yelled.

"And so the battle begins." Peri said, turning around and staring out the window as the even more battered UNSC fleet headed for home, the ESN ships following them.

Xphol grinned as she watched the humans retreat. "To Earth." She said.

"To Earth!" her crew echoed.

She grinned as the Ascendant Justice lead the rest of the fleet towards Earth. "Only a matter of time now, only a matter of time."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ylant x Xphol romance anyone? XDD Comment, vote, and tell me what you think!