Outside The Lines {15}

***Dimitri’s POV***

                I hummed to myself as I entered the house, dropping the car keys on the counter. I went into the living room, and Galen looked up at me, a pout on his face.

                “Why the pout?” I asked curiously.

                “Daddy took Hugo away from me,” he said, his pout getting deeper.

                I looked over, finally noticing my traumatized cat sitting on my father’s lap. Dad stood up, setting Hugo on the ground. Hugo sprinted out of the room after a fearful glance at Galen.

                “Dimmy, come watch this anime with me! This one’s Fruits Basket,” he said, grabbing my hand and trying to tug me down next to him.

                “Dimitri, wait. Come here for a minute,” dad said, gesturing at me to follow him.

                “I’ll be right back dear,” I said, stepping away from Galen and following my dad out of the room.

                He led me upstairs and into his bedroom, gesturing at me to sit on his bed. I sat down and he sighed, crossing his arms.

                “Dimitri, I told you to keep your bedroom door open,” he said.

                “Because clearly little Theodore was violating me,” I said. “I mean, did you see the way he had his head on my chest? Honestly father dearest, he could’ve bruised my ribs!”

                “It’s not funny Dimitri,” he said, his voice sharp. “You got hurt.”

                “Two years ago,” I reminded him, wishing they would let it go. Honestly, I despised clinging to the past.

                “Dimitri, I heard your brother screaming for me and I walked in to find you barely conscious, covered in your own blood with that bastard standing over you. So yes, I’m going to be protective,” he said, his gaze daring me to challenge him.

                Loving challenges, I said, “But you can’t do this forever, father. Hate to break it to you honey, but I’m going to have to handle my own relationships at some point.”

                “Dimmy,” he said, looking at me with a tired expression. “Just be careful. If you get attacked like that again…hell, what do you think it’ll do to me? To your mother? God, what do you think it’ll do to Galen?”

                “Or my precious Hugo. If little Theodore broke my arms, I wouldn’t be able to cuddle my precious Hugo!”

                “Dimitri! It’s not funny!” he said, glaring at me. “Take this seriously.”

                “Father dearest, you know I don’t take anything seriously,” I said with a charming smile. It was like I had told Theo. I got through life by never taking things seriously.

                “That’s what worries me about you,” he grumbled. He sighed and came over, placing his hand on my shoulder. “Be careful, Dimmy.”

                “Caution is my middle name,” I said, standing up. “Well, actually, it’s Mikhail. But you get my point.” I winked at him before leaving the room and heading down to the living room.