Outside The Lines {12}

“Theo!”

                I jumped, almost falling out of my chair. “What?”

                Thalia raised an eyebrow. “You’re completely zoning out. Why?”

                I shrugged. “Tired,” I lied.

                I risked a glance at Dimitri, who was sitting with his friends and talking, his hands flailing like usual. He was extra flamboyant today.

                He had the usual: tons of bracelets and rings, purple fohawk, mascara and eyeliner, sparkly black fingernails, glittery hair.

                He was wearing an obnoxiously sparkly gold shirt with a neon green vest over it. His royal purple scarf was wrapped securely around his neck. His pants were white with light pink polka dots scattered about them. He was wearing bright orange flip-flops and his toenails were painted blue and purple.

                “That shirt. I just want to burn it. And those pants,” Oliver said with a sigh as he followed my gaze.

                “Oh, leave him alone,” Thalia said, rolling her eyes.

                “Well he’s right. I’d burn his clothes if it didn’t mean he had to walk around naked for the rest of the day,” I grumbled, trying not to blush from Dimitri’s words yesterday.

                “Can we just burn him with his clothes still on?” Oliver asked eagerly.

                “I’ll get the gasoline,” I said.

                “I’ve got the lighter,” Oliver said.

                He held out his hands, and I slapped him an atomic high five. After shaking the sting out of our hands, we grinned at a face-palming Thalia.

                “I hate you guys,” she groaned.

                “You love us,” we insisted.

                My phone buzzed in my pocket and I pulled it out. I opened the text, carefully angling my phone so that Oliver couldn’t read it.

                I’m at the lockers.

                I shut my phone and put it back in my pocket, standing up. “I’ll be right back. I have to go talk to my teacher,” I lied, slinging my bag over my shoulder and hurrying out of the cafeteria.

                I went down the senior hallway, my eyes instantly landing on the girl sitting in front of a set of lockers. She looked bored, flicking through her iPod.

                “Kim.”

                She jumped and looked up at me. “Theo. I should’ve known it was you who had texted me to come here,” she said, laughing a little as she stood up. “Dimitri told me about you guys, so I’m assuming this has to do with him.”

                I nodded. “Yea. I have some questions about him.”

                “Doesn’t everybody,” she mumbled. She ran a hand through her hair and sighed. “Okay, I’ll answer what I can. But Dimitri is a very complicated person, so I might not be much help.”

                I gestured at her to sit again. We slid down against the lockers together and I struggled to find a way to word my questions.