Chapter 42 - Hello and Goodbye

Okay guys, last chapter and then it's just the epilogue to go!

Photo: Noah (Actually it's a very cute gif I found)!

Song: Cannonball, by Damien Rice

......................................................

Lily:

I walked beside Noah, worried as a grimace came over his face as he walked through the hallway towards the apartments. Beads of sweat were gathering on his forehead and his hair was plastered to his skin. He was walking slowly, holding his side as he focused on the door ahead. My own heart was beating fast as we neared his apartment. I hadn't been back since that night, and fear rippled up my spine. Taking a deep breath, I tried to gulp down the fear but it wouldn't go away, and my legs just seemed to stop working underneath me and I stopped, my fear paralyzing me.

I could feel myself getting light headed but when I looked up from the floor, my eyes met Noah's. I hadn't heard him step in front of me, but he was looking at me with a tender look in his eyes. His hand was still pressed against his side, but he reached out his right hand and took mine.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "You shouldn't be worrying about me. You're the one who's in pain and here I am, breaking down when I need to be strong for you. I am trying, I didn't mean to - "

He just smiled and pressed his lips against mine, my words fading away as he kissed me gently. After a brief moment, he pulled away and rested his forehead against mine, our noses touching. "Never say sorry. We look out for eachother. That's how it's always going to be, gorgeous. You and me against the world." He smiled and kissed me on the tip of nose, before turning around, his hand still gripping mine tightly.

I stepped up beside him and felt my fear draining away. It was like Noah could help me forget anything. Maybe it was because I knew I'd always be safe with him. But I hurt for Noah, my eyes watching him as he stepped up to his apartment. He wasn't looking towards his own. He was staring at the door to mine, a funny look in his eyes.

Dean and Jen had already opened the door to Noah's apartment and were standing there, watching him too. No-one spoke, we all just stood there as he gazed, like he was hypnotised. I could see the fire blazing in his eyes, but there was something else there; pain or sadness, maybe both. So I stepped in front of him, blocking his view of the door that he seemed to be transifxed by. For a moment he didn't even realize and I felt my own eyes watering, as I noticed the tears pooling in his.

Reaching up, I cupped his cheek and he seemed to snap out of it, looking down at me with those sad eyes of his. "I know it's going to take time," I whispered, trying to hold back the tears I knew could erupt at any second. "But remember what you just said to me. You and me against the world. Everything'll be okay. I promise."

At that moment, he really seemed to see me and he nodded, looking down at the floor as I stepped up against him and wrapped my arms around him, careful not to touch his wound. I smiled in to his shirt as he held me close, burying his face in my hair.

"I didn't think it would be this hard," he mumbled, and I felt my heart sink as I raised my head and looked up at him.

"I'm always here," I whispered.

But to my surprise he was smiling down at me, the look in his eyes different to what it had been before. There was a ghost of a smile on his face as he reached down and took hold of my hand once more. I watched him as he led me in to the apartment. Jen and Dean were standing in the kitchen, making some drinks. They had obviously tried to give us a little time, seeing how hard it was for us to come back. I guess that's why they were our best friends, because despite everything they were still there for us.