Chapter 37 - Holding On To You

I couldn't do it to you guys! I had to update...(But this is definately the last one until the 9th June....maybe :P)

Photo: Lily

Song: Wicked Game, by James Vincent McMorrow (One of the most haunting/beautiful songs I've ever heard)

..............................................................

I stared at the wall opposite. The white paint reflected how I felt; empty and cold. The hospital corridor was almost deserted. Every now and then people passed by but I didn't have the energy to look up at their faces. The people walking the corridors were there for a reason, just like me. Whether they were sick or someone they loved was ill it all meant the same; the place felt hopeless.

My eyes were sore and dry of tears. I didn't have it in me to cry anymore, I had no tears left. Still sitting on the floor, I brought my knees up to my chest and wrapped my arms around them. I closed my eyes and rested my forehead against my knees, trying to block out the possibility that I could lose him. That I could lose the boy that had saved me. 

"Lily?" A voice said from a distance. "Oh my God Lily?"

Looking up, my eyes widened when I saw Jen walking towards me, seeming a little unsteady on her feet. A sob escaped me as I got up off the floor and ran towards her. She stopped and leant againt the wall, and she had a small bandage on the right side of her forehead. I stopped in front of her and reached out to cup her face. She had tears in her eyes and she was shaking her head, like she couldn't understand what had happened.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, wiping her eyes as I pulled her in to a tight embrace, almost like I was afraid that if I let go, she would disappear. "I'm so sorry."

I buried my face in her shoulder and wept, the tears I thought had dried escaping from my already sore eyes. She cried and wrapped her arms around me, the two of us finding some comfort that we were both safe. But for me, the relief lasted barely a second as images of Noah filled my mind. And the one I couldn't seem to stop, was the one of him lying on the hardwood floor, the blood seeping through his shirt as I clung on to him, begging him to live. It was like a recurring nightmare that continued to haunt me, refusing to go away.

Jen and I stood in the middle of the hallway like that for a long time, but I knew that there were things I needed to do. Taking a deep breath and wiping my eyes, I stepped back, but I kept hold of her hand. I wasn't ready to let it go.

"I'm sorry I didn't stay with you," I whispered, looking down at the floor as I continued to wipe my eyes. "But Noah, he's really bad Jen. I don't know if he's going to make it."

And just like that the damn broke, and a gut wrenching cry escaped my lips. I pressed my back against the wall and slid down to the floor, my knees giving way beneath me. "He'll make it, Lily," Jen said, sitting down beside me as she winced, pressing her hand to her forehead. "Noah's got everything to live for. I promise you he'll he make it. You just have to have faith."

"Have faith?" I said, turning my head to look at her, sudden anger and frustration coursing through me. "Why the hell should I have faith? My life has been filled with death and cruelty. Everything around me just seems to fall apart. I don't have faith...my father ripped that away from me." I turned away from her and stared at the tiled floor, the tears rolling down my face as I tried to blink them away.

I closed my eyes as Jen cupped my chin and forced me to look at her. She smiled and brushed my tears away with the pad of her thumb. "You're father may have ripped it away from you Lily," she whispered gently. "But Noah gave it back to you. I can see it every time he looks at you, and the way you look at him. Everything is just a distant memory now. And he'll pull through, do you know why?"