Chapter 6 - Back To Vita

The same boy I used to hate is the boy I am now falling madly in love with.

It’s been a day, I know, I shouldn’t be saying that I think love him or anything, but he’s famous and has hundreds of girls spamming his twitter page with marriage proposals everyday, so at least I’m not that bad. Plus I’m not even going out with him.

Yesterdays little meeting went on for about an hour and a half. It had been so much fun hanging around with One Direction, even if it was such a small amount of time.  

I felt so comfortable around them. It was like we were all brilliant friends who used to hang out all the time, only now uniting again for the first time in ages. The boys are so friendly, but I couldn’t help thinking they were this friendly with all the fans they meet.

That was until Louis and Niall lifted Wendi from her chair, threatening to throw her out of the window at the far end of the room. It was a joke, of course, and we all laughed as she screamed in protest, “NO, YOU’RE RIGHT, THE T-BIRDS ARE BETTER THAN THE SCORPIONS.” They must’ve been discussing Grease

But soon after, Helen called the boys away so they could be taken to rehearse for their next show. We exited the meeting room together, saying our goodbyes in the foyer. I hugged each boy in turn, Harry last.

“It was great seeing you again, Iss,” he had joked, wrapping me up in a warm hug.

“Same here, H,” I giggled at him. Yeah, we’d already started calling each other by nickname. He can be such a flirt when he wants to be.

“Here,” he said to me once we’d ceased hugging, pushing a piece of paper into my hand, “My number. Call me sometime.”

I eyed the paper suspiciously, and before I could question him on whether or not the number is genuine, he reassured me,

“And, no, there are no whoopee cushions hiding in the paper.” He tried to appear serious, but he cracked and a grin stretched across his face.

I’m the kind of person who laughs at everything, so when I meet new people and they try to be funny I will laugh. This will make them think they’re funny and they will never ever shut up from that point on. Harry, however, is the kind of person I would laugh at his jokes whether I’ve known him a minute or a lifetime. “Are you forever making jokes?”

“No that’s usually Louis job…must be rubbing off on me.” He had said, smiling at what he probably thinks was a compliment.

“Oo-er.” Muttered Darcy as she whisked by. I had to bite the sleeve of my cardigan to stop a giggle fit exploding. I watched Harry’s face as his eyes follow her as she walks away and I could see his little mind ticking away trying to think of a suitable comeback.

Harry saw me laughing and shot me an embarrassed smile, “Don’t forget to ring me.” He reminded me, lightly touching my arm before prancing off towards his band mates who were already adoring the attention from their fans outside.

I stood transfixed on the spot, staring at the wallpaper again. Oh my goodness. Best few minutes of my life.

I’m smiling as the whole hour and a half runs through my mind in fast-forward, and I don’t care if the people in the market place think I’m crazy. Approaching the little shop hidden in the corner, I drop my cheery mood for a more neutral one. I don’t want Vita thinking I’m glad to see her; I’m only here to give her back the Sun card.

Vita’s waiting in the first room this time, not lurking behind the purple drapes. She’s sitting at one of the two identical chairs on the left by the bookshelf, clutching a tiny cup of tea.

“Glad you returned.” She croaks, not looking up. She’s wearing her rainbow shawl and still has a plastic rose pushed behind her ear again. “Come. Sit.” She instructs. Cautiously I make my way over to the chair opposite hers.

After about a year of awkward silence she asks, “So, you found Happiness?”

“Erm, yeah, I’m happy.” I tell her with an enthusiastic grin.

“No no no,” she tuts, pushing a newspaper and a pen to me across the little round table. “Do you do crosswords, my dear? Try 8 across.”

Without letting me answer I’m forced into doing a crossword. Who would’ve thought? I glance at the bottom of the page and see a crossword with about four words missing. I find 8 across and read it carefully: The state of being happy, 8 letters. Some letters are already filled in, F--I-I-Y.

I’ve never been that great with crosswords, I had always considered them to be boring, something that a person with nothing better to do than be educated would do to pass the time. This crossword was easy.

I smile, “That’s pretty…clever.” I’m impressed by her unique way of being a batty old fortuneteller. Pulling my thoughts away from Vita’s oddness I answer, “Felicity.” To my amazement, Vita nods happily. So the ‘Happiness’ in that prophecy thing of Vita’s meant Fliss? I play it back in my head “You must find Happiness, and with Happiness you will find your chance”

Well, I found Fliss. “So what was my ‘chance’?” I ask Vita. Over the brim of her cup she glares at me like I should know that already.

I stare at her blankly. She stares back, sipping her tea. Why did I come back here? Fortunetellers are so annoying; you can never get a straight answer from them.

After about three thousand years have passed, Vita places her cup on the table and leans across, casually taking the newspaper from me and scanning it, not really reading any of it.

“You already have the chance.” She tells me as she glances at the obituary section, “You choose to make it happen.” Flicking the page, I see her electric blue eyes shine in delight as she spots the comics.

I have to restrain a giggle, “Choose the chance?”

“Indeed, Issa.” She hisses.

My smile fades and I ponder once more, “How do you know my name? You didn’t answer me last time.”

Her mouth crinkles into a smile just as the clock in the other room rings around the entire bottom floor, “I suppose you will have to wait until next time.”

Jumping up from her seat and pushing me across the floor, babbling on about how I have to visit again soon, she practically forces me out of the shop and onto the cobbled street outside.

“But I haven’t returned…” I start to say as I twist around, only to find the curtains closed, the door locked, and a large ‘CLOSED’ plastered to the window.

Digging in my bag I pull out the Sun card, unfortunately. I had hoped that by some crazy voodoo magic she had taken it from me the same way she managed to slip it into my pocket in the first place. Sighing, I shove it back into my pocket and head off to find the girls.