Chapter 4 - After The Show

I wake with my face crushed against the side of the scratchy hotel pillow. I roll over in my bed and see the curtains are still open, letting bright sunlight flood the room. It’s nothing compared to the blinding beams at the arena.

My ears are ringing. Little snippets of last night’s concert flicker in front of my eyes; the overwhelming cheers whenever an act was introduced to the stage; the beautiful sound of their voices filling the arena; when they all sang Heroes together. Oh and the girl next to me, screaming and yelling at every chance she got – basically making a fool of herself. Her dancing was hideous, and I felt like kicking her shins to stop her from thwacking me with her arms.

I sit up in bed and ruffle the bird’s nest I call my hair, looking around me at the mess that was once neatly concealed in my suitcase.

Of course, it’s not all my mess. The right side of the room is all of Raya’s belongings. The lazy girl is still sleeping in her bed beside mine. I know she’ll be sleeping for hours, so I’ll end up being the one to clean up.

Hopping out of bed I trot across the room, gathering discarded clothes and shoes as I go. Since I wasn’t here yesterday when they had begun to get ready, the girls decided to turn my half of the room into a pigsty. I had walked in to see my bed piled high with clothes, Darcy sorting through them, and my set of drawers laden with hair products. Raya was having her long blonde hair styled by Wendi and I had almost choked on the hairspray in the air.

As I had asked, Darcy picked out the best outfit she could find for me. Straight away she had decided that my red cardigan and black boots were a must. Her problem was finding something I owned which would match. It took her some time, but she found my black and red poppy skirt at the bottom of my suitcase, and then borrowed a white vest top from Raya, which completed my outfit.

Once we were all ready with our perfect make-up and flawless hair, we skipped off to the venue, buzzing.

It was the most amazing concert I had ever been to. I made myself hoarse within only a few minutes of the show starting, but I didn’t care. We were screaming and cheering for our favourite acts: Aiden, Matt, as well as Darcy’s girls, and of course, One Direction.

When the boys appeared on stage they were greeted by their screaming fans. How they handle that racket almost every night is beyond me; even my eardrums nearly burst.

I saw Harry bounding on stage and squinted, trying to find that little brat I remember from Fliss’ party. I can’t, it’s like he’s completely changed - thank goodness. His hair is much longer, something that all of his fans adore. He looks so much happier, too. I remember his face was foul at that party, angry and annoyed that we were challenging him.

No, he was a completely different person now.

We met up with Fliss outside before the show, too. She told us that she’d spoken to Harry, and he seemed fine with letting us go to visit.

“He’ll have to clear it with his managers, but I think he can make an exception for ‘family friends’.” She said to me with a wink before running off to find her seat, wishing us a great time as she vanished.

Wandering over to the set of drawers I glance at the mahogany top, covered with the contents of my bag. I check my phone to see if I have any new messages from Fliss, but the screen was empty of texts. By the side of my phone sits a rolled up poster Raya bought last night. I unravel it and see it is, obviously, a picture of One Direction. Again, I stare at Harry to see if he really is the same little boy, but I just can’t. Laughing to myself, I roll the poster back together and drop it onto the wood.

Then the realisation hits me. Today I get to meet One Direction! How crazy is that?!

In my excitement I consider dancing around like a loon, but then I remember that the curtains are open. Looking at the mess on my half of the room, I notice something on the floor by my feet that I must’ve dropped.

Picking it up I recognise it immediately, thanks to the purple marks on the back. It’s the stupid Sun card. Again.

What was it that Vita had said? Happiness. Chance. What the heck was all of that supposed to mean? It’s all a bunch of mumbo jumbo, I say!

‘I can take it back to her tomorrow,’ I tell myself, carefully placing the shiny card in the inside pocket of my bag.

The moment the card is hidden I hear someone knocking on the door connecting our two rooms together. Raya reacts to the noise by grumbling (something about Liam, I think) and rolling onto her stomach, still very much dormant.

We managed to get twin rooms for our trip. There was no arguing over who was sharing a room with whom, seeing as we were already two sets of best friends. Raya and me, we’ve been best friends since our first day of High School.

Now, Darcy and Wendi – I don’t think you could find a weirder friendship. Raya and me are quite similar in what we like and what we don’t like, our interests and even the way we talk. Darcy and Wendi, however, couldn’t be more different.

Visibly you can see a huge difference between them. Darcy is nearly six foot tall, whereas Wendi is just past five feet. Darcy has her brown hair styled like her idol Cheryl, and Wendi’s curly blond locks reminds me of spaghetti. Their style is different, too: Wendi opts for the more casual look all of the time, but Darcy goes all out to make sure she looks perfect.

Basically, in any normal world, these two would be enemies, but they’re inseparable in our world.

“Morning.” Wendi says as she cranes her head around the door. “Any plans for breakfast today?” she’s whispering, partly because Raya is still snoozing, but mostly because the Beauty Queen next door is never to be woken from her slumber.

“Not yet, no. Any plans on sorting out that Afro of yours?” I laugh, pointing at the curly mass atop Wendi’s head.

“Hey! I could say the same to you!” she retorts, indicating to the bird’s nest. “And those panda eyes! Gosh, Darce would have a fit if she saw you!”

Running into the bathroom I see that Wendi’s right. I must have been so shattered once we returned from the concert that I just forgot to remove my make up and simply conked out on my bed after changing into my pyjamas.

“Oh, I’ll survive.” I laugh as I leave the bathroom. “I’ll wash it off in a bit.” Back in the main room I find that Wendi has moved from standing in the doorway to beside the set of drawers.

“Your phone started beeping.” She tells me, holding it up to show me. I take it from her and see it’s a message from Fliss.

Excitement flowing through me, I scan the message quickly, three times over.

“Or maybe,” I tell Wendi, “I’ll get cleaned up now.”

She looks at me a little puzzled. I smile at her and as calmly as I possibly can, I ask her,

“How does breakfast with One Direction sound to you?”