Chapter 47

When Padre Chavez left Vicky had mixed feelings. She knew he understood and he supported her efforts but he also had a responsibility to the congregation that was beginning to suffer. At first she could only reject the ideas. But at length they had found a suitable compromise, if Quinton would be agreeable.

Quinton would come on Friday and stay with Jeremy in town. That way the visit would be open to public view and all could see nothing inappropriate was happening. Besides, she would be married in a month's time and the issue of impropriety would no longer be a concern. Vicky loathed catering to gossip but she understood it was best in the long run.

It would be best for Naomi Beth if she nipped this problem in the bud. It was a little unnerving knowing that her life was no longer truly her own. What she did had a direct impact on the child. And by extension, it would affect Jeremy and Quinton as well.

Lord help me keep a civil tongue if I ever find out who's doing this to us!

Vicky looked down at the baby in her arms and smiled despite her troubles. It was hard not to smile when Naomi Beth was so happy. She didn't bother to wrap Naomi Beth in a blanket. It was a lovely day and it was a short walk to the post office and back. She'd be back in no time.

Vicky visited a spell with the postmaster. Edward was a kindly old man who didn't share the opinion of his sister that Vicky was a harlot or any other brand of sinner. He always enjoyed his visit with baby Naomi Beth who seemed to grow so fast. His own family was grown and lived far away. He was sent a letter once in a while, but he hadn't seen any of them in years.

The young Mr. Kelley and the delightful Miss Bradley who brought that little baby by every week brought him much joy. They were really good people. He felt badly that his sister stirred so much trouble for them.

Edward smiled now as Miss Vicky held up the baby so she could see him wave goodbye. He was rewarded with happy cooing sounds as she kicked her little bare toes wildly in glee. He watched them leave his post office. Then he heard a sound that made his heart leap. No! They were back!

He raced out into the street and saw the drunken banditos ride down the street. He saw Vicky turn, saw the horror on her face as she backed up, cradling the terrified howling baby in her arms. He saw a man step out of the saloon, clutch his heart and fall. He watched the banditos laugh and cried out "Vicky!" as he saw a bandit dismount and charge toward her.

It was the last thing he saw. A bullet ripped through his body and he fell where he stood, cut down by a bandit's bullet. The bandit was indifferent, drunk and laughing as he used the terrified darting citizens for target practice.

***

Las Cruces was the fourth town they hit today. They were tired and thirsty, and their horses were heavily burdened with loot. Jefe gave them half an hour to refresh themselves and steal fresh horses. There weren't many women out today, not young ones anyway. So when Louie saw the pretty young thing leave the post office as they rode in he leapt from his horse to claim her first.

It was only when he got closer that he noticed the baby. She was terrified but she hit him and stood her ground and he knew the fear was not for her but for the baby in her arms. It was only when he pulled his gun from his holster that she calmed down. She was a new face. Beautiful, young- eastern. She was soft and refined. He sensed money.

"Who are you?" he demanded

"Miss Bradley, if it's any business of yours. Leave us alone!" She thrust her chin up and straightened her spine.

"No good for you today. You should not be in this place."

"I live here. I'm the teacher at the new school. Let us go."