Chapter 37

"Good Luck." Joseph said, shaking hands with the former owner of the mercantile. He winced as the large man slapped a beefy hand on his shoulder.

"No Luck, good or bad." The man said his eyes squinting as he smiled. "Make life good or bad, but there is no luck, only hard work."

"That's good advice." Joseph smiled. "Have a safe journey and a happy reunion with your family, then."

"Thank you." And with a few more parting words, he left them.

Joseph slipped his arm around Abigail's shoulder and turned to look at his new store. Jeremy felt a pang of loneliness and shook it off. His friends had just purchased their new home and he was duty bound to help them make it ready.

"Lets get the placed locked up and inventoried. I'll go over the records and you'll want to make the living space your own, no doubt." He smiled at Abigail.

She smiled back and nodded. Joseph held the door as the small group preceded him inside. He locked the door behind him and turned to survey the store.

"Plan is simple." He clapped his hands and rubbed them together. "Move everything to one side. Inventory and move it to the other side as we go. When everything is moved, I'll know what I've got, what I need to order, and most likely will have a better idea of how I want to organize it all."

Jeremy nodded as he rolled up his sleeves and reached for a crate. The three young men hired to help followed Jeremy's example and work commenced at once.

"Isabel and I are going to attack the living quarters while you boys do all the heavy lifting. When you're ready for the deep cleaning, we ladies will swoop in and leave it sparkling."

"Fair enough." Joseph nodded in agreement.

She kissed him quickly and turned to leave. As she did so, he swatted her bottom. Abigail squealed and cast a sly look over her shoulder. Joseph chuckled. She would make him pay for that later...and he was looking forward to it.

Jeremy rolled his eyes and groaned. Joe hadn't moved and his eyes were fastened to Abigail's backside as she wove her way through the stacks toward the doorway in the back. The help was watching and chuckling.

"Joe." Jeremy called.

He got no reaction and the boys snickered. Jeremy cleared his throat loudly.

"Joe." He tried a little louder as he set a crate down with a loud thump.

No reaction from Joe, just more laughter from the boys. Jeremy rolled his eyes and started crossing back to his friend. As the boys laughter increased, Jeremy felt his cheeks burn, embarrassed for his friend. Did Victoria do that to him, he wondered. Lord he hoped not!

"JOE!" Jeremy almost yelled as he waved his hand in front of Joe's face.

Joe chuckled. "Right." He said, rolling up his sleeves.

Jeremy skipped dinner and barely managed to undress before exhaustion claimed him that evening.

A gentle knock at the door woke him. He blinked the sleep from his eyes and groaned. Every muscle hurt like the devil.

"Yes?" he called as he stiffly sat up and swung his feet to the floor.

His mouth felt gritty, like he'd swallowed sand. He stretched and groaned again as his sore muscles screamed in protest. Another soft knock.

"Yes?" he called again as he stood.

He grabbed his trousers from the back of the chair and stumbled into them. Not bothering with a shirt he yanked open the door startling the young girl that waited there. Her eyes got wide and she swallowed with a loud gulp.