Chapter 10

"Name's Vic." Victoria said, not bothering to hide her smile at Abigail's surprise. Even her voice was disguised, a few octaves lower and mimicking Abigail's southern drawl.

"I absolutely didn't recognize you! You're so different! Why, you're a...a...a complete stranger."

"That is strange. Because I imagine that if I were to gaze upon a looking glass, the face I would see there would be very much my own."

"Vict—Vic, you're impossible!" Abigail was laughing.

"I'm glad the woman with the children nearly knocked me over when I got off the train." Victoria said abruptly.

"Why's that?"

"I've been thinking. We've been seen in and around Baltimore. I was seen boarding the train, but no one saw me get off and when I don't get off that train tonight, I imagine they'd think something terrible had happened to me. This way, at least they'll find out I left the train here. The conductor saw me nearly fall and he started toward me when he was waylaid by that old lady with the chip on her shoulder."

"I hadn't thought of that. No matter. It's all worked itself out quite nicely." Abigail slipped her hand through Victoria's elbow and they boarded the train together. Victoria's only baggage this time was the leather knapsack. It was small and held only the few personal items she had decided to bring:

An extra pair of thick socks, an extra shirt, a bar of soap, a small towel, a comb, a pocket size bible, a tintype of she and Jeremy (he insisted they sit for it and now she was glad to have it), and lastly writing supplies.

They sat together and talked freely about going west and what she might encounter. Abigail practiced calling her Vic and she practiced her new voice.

She felt a pang of guilt, a moment of hesitation. But more than anything, she felt hope. It was finally going to happen. And it was better than she had ever dreamed before, because now she'd be able to share it all with Jeremy.

She was finally going after three years of sneaking and planning. Excitement swelled within her and spilled over onto Abigail. For the moment the thrill of it all helped Victoria to forget the mayhem that would envelope her home in Rosewood later that evening.

That particular train to Rosewood was chosen after a careful study of the schedules. There was no train leaving Rosewood for an entire day. Not trains heading for Baltimore anyway. It gave Vic Bradley time to get a good start.

They quickly arrived back in Baltimore. Vic hired a ride for Abigail. They hugged good bye before Vic helped Abigail into the coach, remembering to act the part of a gentleman. She handed the brown paper parcel to Abigail through the window and hit the side of the coach signaling the driver.

"I make a gift of them to you." She shouted in her altered voice.

"Thank you, Vic. It's very sweet of you." They laughed. Vic stood watching until the coach with Abigail was gone from sight. She took a deep breath and looked around. No one even seemed to notice her. She hired a ride and instructed the driver to take her to a hotel, a cheap hotel.

"Yes sir."

"Yup." Vic thought locking her fingers behind her head and putting her feet up on the seat opposite her. "Yesiree, Life's easier when you are a man."

Vic had thought no one noticed her. Vic was wrong. Abigail's friend, the gossip, had just arrived to pick up an aunt. She was looking around for her aunt when she saw Abigail with a scruffy looking thin young man. They were awfully friendly.

He hugged Abigail and gave her a parcel. Staring, she watched them part. The young man stared after Abigail until she disappeared from site. She had no plans to attend the church social tonight. But Abigail had mentioned attending so she changed her mind. The young man disappeared in his own coach. She sensed there was a good story here.