Chapter 30

The station keeper was standing next to the stage looking up at them and pointed to two eight gallon kegs set up next to the station.

"That's all we have left for a dozen men and as many head of cattle. We've dug out the tanks to make them hold enough water to last a year when the next rains fall, but until that time we'll have to abandon the station unless my scouts can find water in the area." He shook his head by way of apology "Why don't ya'll stop a few minutes and get some grub?"

Capitan nodded.

"If I can't water the animals, at least I can rest them a spell." He said to Vic, the he shouted for the benefit of the passengers, "20 minutes."

Back on the road Capitan turned to Vic.

"Not too worried see, in a few more hours we'll be in Franklin."

"Is that a big city?"

"Naw. But it's on the Rio Grande River. Plenty of water there. Before you ask, it's too far to make hauling water to the station a practical solution."

Vic only nodded. Later, as they neared the river she smelled ...fruit and ...herbs? It was wonderful. After nothing but dust for so long through the desert, it was nice to be getting near civilization. Soon they passed vineyards and started to see comfortable looking ranch houses.

Capitan noticed Vic's eyes roaming the countryside, taking in everything.

"Fort bliss is only about two miles from Franklin so we won't need to fear Indian attack for a spell."

"Huh?" Vic was confused, and then realized he must have mistook her curiosity for caution. "No, I...it's beautiful."

"You should see Cuidad De El Paso Del Norte. It's quite a sight. It's an ancient city across the river from Franklin and I swear some of the buildings are older than I am!"

They fell silent as they neared the station. After changing out the teams and seeing the stage off, she was finished until the next stage came through. It was exciting, for the next stage would be her last as a shotgun rider; she would see it through clear to San Francisco.

She found her room easy enough. After a bath and a hot meal accompanied by some of the most delicious wine she had yet tasted, Vic wandered around Franklin to absorb some of the quaintness of its charming culture.

It was a small town, only a few hundred inhabitants. There were green fields almost to the base of the mountains. She liked it here. There was something magical about the Spanish-speaking people.

She found them extremely hospitable and was amused that she was so much taller than even their men. These men and women carved this thriving culture out of the vastness of Texas and the New Mexico Territory. She was properly impressed and she was absolutely loved the quaint modest little buildings.

The whitewashed ones stood out in stark contrast to the bright green of the irrigated vineyards. The roses that climbed some of the walls, the children that skipped about, the little church with its bell that rang to mark the noon hour, the delicious food that had such flavor—It all captured Vic's heart.

A group of children started to trail her, giggling and pointing at the gran gringo, which she assumed meant her. She turned and knelt down.

"Howdy." She offered. They chuckled and handed her a pepper.

"Es un jalapeno." They said. "Es muy Bueno." They said, taking large bites and making pleased noises while rubbing their tummies. So they wanted her to try this holy-peeno. She could do that. She took a large bite. A second later, she spit out the pepper in a coughing fit while the children wailed in laughter.