Chapter Ten

*Dedicated to Emma_Dawn for the cover! :)

~Chapter Ten~

          Nothing would come out of my mouth; all I could do was stare wide-eyed at the random guy that claimed to be my brother. Hopefully, he was just joking.

          Layne was the first one to speak up, and it didn’t look like he was buying anything this Kameron dude was saying. “What makes you think we will so easily believe you?”

          “I didn’t think you would, but I was hoping that you would look at the resemblance between the both of us and figure it out yourselves,” Kameron said taking a step forward.

          My mate let out a warning growl and the guy stopped dead in his tracks.

          “We’re both gingers, we both have dark green eyes, we both have the same cheekbones…” Kameron probably could have gone on for a lot longer, but Layne wouldn’t have it, “Let’s say you are her brother. Why the hell did you attack her the other night?”

          The red head shifted uncomfortably and then gave me the most apologetic face I had ever seen, “If it were up to me, no one would have came after you that night, but we were ordered to. We can’t disobey our Alpha.”

          “I’m confused,” I mumbled, trying to put everything together. Kameron said I was his brother and his father was the Alpha so why would my father want to hurt me? None of this made any sense and the more I thought about it, the bigger my migraine grew.

          “Kiera, our father is extremely messed up. I have no idea what happened to make him go all deranged, but the reason you were given up for adoption was because our mother didn’t want him to hurt you. He’s abusive and he didn’t want a daughter. If you stayed around he could have seriously injured you. Mom acted like she had a miscarriage and gave you away, and trust me; she never forgave herself for it. I know it was the right thing to do, but now that our father knows that you aren’t dead he wants to inflict as much pain on you as possible. He wants to make up for the eighteen years he missed.” Kameron spoke fast, it was like he was afraid someone would show up and interrupt him at any moment.

          For the second time in about ten minutes, I had to leave it up to Layne to say something. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. How messed up could this whole situation be?

          “Why is your father still Alpha in the first place?” my boyfriend asked, eyeing my ‘brother’ harshly.

          “He refuses to give up his title. Like I said already, he’s a dick and will stop at nothing to get his way. He has to have power and as soon as the position is mine, he has nothing.”

          Layne let out a grumble in annoyance, “We have to keep him away from Kiera. I’m not letting him or any of his sidekicks get near her.”

          “I completely agree,” Kameron nodded. “But we still have a major problem. Even though he’s an ass, he is still my Alpha. What if he orders me to do something? It’s not like I can just leave the pack, I’m next in line and besides everyone will see it as me abandoning them. That’s not how I want them to think of me.”

          Toby walked over to Layne and showed us the time. The ceremony was going to start in an hour and I wasn’t even ready yet. Just the thought of finally being admitted into the pack sent chills up my spine. I was finally going to be able to talk to mate when I wasn’t even near him and even better, I was going to finally get a family that didn’t force me into moving every time I got comfortable somewhere.