Chapter Nine

~Chapter Nine~

We all ran on for about two more hours, letting our wolves take over. It felt amazing letting my wolf take the reigns for a while. I didn't have to worry about a thing; she navigated through the terrain stunningly and she could hear the tiniest twig snapping from hundreds of yards away.

Now that we were only a couple of minutes away from the house, Layne split off from me and snuck up behind Toby. Even the best hearing wouldn't have been able to pick up any movement from Layne; he moved with such a grace that it was almost beautiful. You could definitely tell he had Alpha blood running through his veins.

Toby let out a high pitched yelp as my mate bit into his butt and pulled his fur back causing him to stop. He then glared at Layne and began talking to him through their mind-link. If only Layne would have made me part of his pack already. I wanted to be able to hear people's thoughts. That would have been the best thing to ever happen!

The two wolves finally separated after a couple of minutes and then Layne trotted over to me and licked me on the face. I narrowed my eyes at him trying to figure out what his random show of affection was about, but his eyes just sparkled and then he took back off into the woods.

I was just about to take off after him but Toby stopped me and shook his head, pointing his nose back toward the house.

In annoyance I sighed and followed after, taking one last look behind me. Where did Layne have to go? What was so important that he needed to leave just like that? Hopefully it had nothing to do with another pack member roaming around our territory, because I really didn't want my boyfriend to come home smelling like blood and death. It was bad enough that I had to practically beg him to leave them alone, but I doubted he would listen. He could be just as stubborn as me, maybe even more.

When the four of us arrived back home, Toby didn't even bother shifting back into human form, instead he jogged right on in, shoving the screen door aside with his nose. From where I stood I could hear all the young children squealing in glee, loving the sight of Toby's wolf. I mean who wouldn't? He was a dark brown and had the most unique markings covering his fur. They traveled all the way from his snout all to his paws.

As fast as I could, I grabbed my pile of clothes in my mouth and hid behind the nearest tree. The shift back was not near as painful as it was earlier. Things were already starting to look brighter for me.

When I came out of hiding, Macie ambushed me and linked her arm with mine. She made sure to skip back to the house too, so I decided to drag my feet, ruining her fun. I wanted to wait for Layne and try to get some answers out of him when he returned.

Macie narrowed her eyes at me, "he won't be back for a couple more hours. You might as well just go inside now."

"It would have been nice for a warning. Where is he at anyhow?" I grumbled, tripping over the first step getting onto the deck.

She held back her laughter and kept on skipping ahead of me, "I'm not allowed to tell you," she shrugged.

Aria was already inside plopped down on top of the couch. Toby's wolf was happily sprawled out on his back on top of her lap. She smiled and started to rub his tummy. His tongue rolled out to the side and his leg started to kick out.

"Isn't he sort of big for that?" I asked, looking at the couple like they were crazy.

Toby was so big that he took up most of the couch and he was squishing Aria deep into it. I'm surprised she was able to get her arms around him to tickle him, let alone breathe.

"Get off the couch!" Linda cried, slapping Toby's muzzle. "You know how much I hate dogs on my furniture, you get fur everywhere!"

Instantly the doggish grin on his face vanished and his ears flattened. He gave the women a rude look then jumped off the couch, grumbling deep within his chest.