[7] Runaway.

"Do you have a cigarette." Klaus deadpanned, biting on his nails as he eyed the stranger intently. The man noticed his nervous tic, and offered him the cigarette silently, not wanting him to bite his head off instead of the nails. After lighting it up for him, he hesitantly parted ways with the madman.

     Klaus inhaled the forgotten sensation of smoke and focused on the wet pavement as he walked, expression shadowed by his hair. He clenched the hand in his pocket, the bitten nails scratching his palm pleasantly, attempting to distract him from his impulses. He could feel it. He could feel his mind slowly parting from his body, and knew he wasn't far from loosing his grasp on sanity.

     He only breathed from the cigarette, finishing it in a few deep inhales, then threw it away and panted for fresh air as he continued biting on whatever was left of his nails. He paced around the place he wouldn't care to recognise, feeling tears flood his eyes as he recalled last night.

     As if a dream he could remember having woke up from a sensation of loneliness. Sure enough, the spot next to him on the bed was empty, and in a haze he could hear a soothing piano melody, accompanied by a voice as if in a lullaby. He let the sound close his eyelids, but just before falling back to sleep, he could remember a distant mess of notes and moans, and then they echoed away as he entered unconsciousness.

     That morning, the moment he opened his eyes a cold shiver or realisation embraced his body when he saw the spot still empty. Everything he considered to have been a lucid dream slapped him in the face with the palm of reality.

     And it hurt.

     It hurt, leaving his stinging cheek now under a layer of tears that he watched hitting the pavement, accompanied by the drops of rain.

     It hurt.

<><><><><><><> 

     Venom slid the wedding ring up and down his trembling finger, head hung in shame as he sat at the table in the kitchen. Alexander was crouching down in front of him, caressing his hair in a consoling gesture. Occasionally, Venom would raise his head to dart a look at the clock on the wall, and with a shaky sigh would resume abusing his finger.

     "It's been eight hours since he left..." he murmured at some point.

     "I know..." Alex softly replied, gripping his hand and placing the ring back to its place at the base of the now red finger. He then pressed the palm against his cheek, and closed his eyes when Venom ran it through his strands of hair.

     "I regret it, Alexander..." he added distantly, letting his head fall on his son's, connecting their foreheads.

     "I know..." repeated Alex monotonously.

     "I love him... I love him so much..." Venom helplessly sobbed, burying his face in the other man's shoulder, who in turn replied the same...

     "I know."

     With that, he wrapped his arms around the villain and fixed his eyes on the apartment's door, the anticipation settled in his stomach.

     He heard it before he saw it.

     The sight of the closed door had been imprinted in his mind an hour later, so when it suddenly opened, the first thing that his mind registered was the sound of it slamming the wall loudly. Only after a blink did he manage to take in the current view.