[ phoenix's point of view: chapter five]

Chapter 5 (Phoenix's Perspective)

I shoved open the door to Grace's bathroom, immediately regretted it once my eyes landed on her. "Can you hurry—?" I started before my eyes widened. She was only wearing a towel around her torso.

"Get out!" she screamed and I immediately slammed the door, practically running out of her room. My face was warming up and I quickly returned to my place on the couch beside Leo, who glanced at me curiously.

"What happened up there?" he asked.

Nothing, just walked in on your sister getting out of the shower. "Oh, nothing," I lied as my breathing returned back to normal.

A few moments later Grace announced her presence by clearing her throat. I looked at her before immediately looking away as the image of her decked in just a towel filled my mine. Stop, I scolded myself, that's weird. I stood up and brushed off my pants, turning to face the pretty girl standing before me.

"A wild Grace appears," Leo noted, earning a glare from his sister.

"Can we go?" she asked and I could tell she was uncomfortable. Just great. As soon as you get the girl to actually leave the house with you alone (though done with a bribe), you had to mess it up by walking in on her in the shower. Perfect.

"Yeah," I responded quietly, mentally cursing at myself.

"Don't forget my fries!" Leo called as we approached the front door. I made a note to buy him some fries.

"Look, I didn't mean to walk in—," I started as soon as the door locked in place.

"Don't mention it...ever," she insisted as she pulled open the door to my car. I simply stared at her and sighed. Now she probably thinks I'm some lurking creep who enjoys walking in on girls in the shower.

"Fair enough," I mumbled as I walked around the car.

+ + +

After ordering the food, I detoured to the nearby park where we used to play as children. One time in specific, Grace was going across the monkey bars and I grabbed her feet and pulled her down. She fell, hit her elbow, and started crying. I scanned the park with a small smile on my face. Good times. I was a horrible person. As I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed the confused and annoyed looks that I was getting from Grace. I got out of the car, turning to find her still remaining in her seat. I nodded at her to get out and she slowly did, opening the car door at a snail's pace. "Why are we here?" she asked.

"Because you haven't had fresh air in two days," I informed her. She took a deep breath before exhaling noisily, drawing my attention.

"Ah, that's enough fresh air. Now get in the car and take me home," she insisted.

"Get away from the car, Grace," I began. I started opening the bag, allowing the smell of the fast food infiltrate her nose. "I'm going to eat your food if you don't."

With a grunt, she followed me to the picnic table, glaring at the small children. Just the Grace I know and love. "We're just going to go to McDonald's," she mimicked me. "And then we'll come straight home."

"I also said I was going to leave you alone forever. You didn't actually believe that, did you?" I asked as I sat on the other side of the bench, watching her. She ripped the bag away from me but I didn't really mind. I began checking to see which drink was mine. She gave me the bag soon after I slid her soda her way.

"I hoped," she mumbled and I wanted to sigh. Sometimes I wonder if she really does hate me. I'd ask but I don't think she'd give me an honest answer. She'd probably say something like 'yes I do, now leave me alone forever.'