[ chapter nine: chaperon ]

Chapter 9: Chaperon

"What are you doing?" Leo asked as I stood in front of him. I was dressed for the party, though if you saw me, you'd probably think I was going to the grocery store. I was dressed in jeans and a tank top, covered by a plaid shirt. I also had a bag, a purse if you would, hanging off my shoulder that I had a few things in- a bag of chips and a water, and some other stuff.

"Going to the party," I told him.

"No you're not," Leo retorted.

"Yeah I am," I expressed. I told Elliot I'd be there at 9, and I'm getting there by 9 one way or another.

"No, you're not. How did you even find out about the party?" he asked.

"It's not hard, Leo. We go to public school," I replied.

"Yeah, but it's an invite only party," Leo expressed. I furrowed my eyebrows. I didn't know that.

"Well, I was invited," I told him with a shrug.

"Yeah, by who?" he scoffed.

"Phoenix," I replied.

"Yeah, right," Leo ridiculed.

"He did!" I bit back, growing annoyed.

"Let's go ask him," my twin responded. He opened the door and stormed down the steps. I followed, not bothering to shut the door as I went.

"Yes, I'll get up from my comfortable position on the couch and shut the door," Avery grumbled loudly from the sofa. We walked down to Phoenix's house and Leo didn't even bother knocking. I noticed that there weren't any cars in the driveway and I was a bit relieved. If Mrs. Carson was here, she'd spend an hour talking to me about how much I've grown in the past few years; she'd probably break out the photo albums of when Phoenix, Leo, and I were very small children.

I followed Leo hesitantly up the steps to Phoenix's room. If I'm not mistaken, it's in the same place it was the last time I dared step up to the second floor, which was about four years ago. Not even bothering to knock, my brother shoved open Phoenix's door and the teenager was sliding a shirt over his head. Luckily, he was dressed from the waist down. I looked away, though, not wanting to be caught staring because he'd probably smirk and make a comment. Any other time, it'd be annoying, but it'd be worse now because I feel like Leo's already frustrated with the two of us.

"You know, most people knock...on the front door," Phoenix announced as he pulled the shirt down completely. Phoenix glanced at me but saw Leo's expression and didn't bother to say anything.

"You invited her?" Leo practically seethed.

"Yeah," Phoenix answered. "Was I not supposed to?"

"No! You weren't!" Leo retorted. "Why'd you even invite her?"

Phoenix shrugged. "I just did. I didn't think it'd bother you this much."

My brother sighed. "Is there anyone else you invited?" he asked.

"Yeah, Elliot," Phoenix expressed, surprising me. I thought he'd turn to me and say something about how I invited Elliot.

"The boy from Spain?" Leo asked, earning a nod from Phoenix. "What about you, Grace? Did you dig into your contacts list, as short as it may be, and decide to invite a few people?"

I shot my brother a glare. "No, Leo, I didn't."

My brother eyed Phoenix for a moment. "You're taking her," Leo snapped.

"Okay," Phoenix nodded. Leo looked at me and I just shrugged.

"You know what? I'll take her," my brother announced. Phoenix's eyebrows shot up.