[ chapter five: awkward ]

Chapter 5: Awkward

I was standing in the bathroom, getting ready to go to McDonalds with Phoenix when I decided that I might as well shower. I closed my bathroom door slightly, knowing that if I close it all the way, the bathroom would become a freezing abyss. The heater in my room makes its way in here and allows some heat to circulate. But I guess that's what I get for taking the room with the en suite bathroom.

I finished my shower in about fifteen minutes flat. I wrapped my body in a towel as I turned off my music, preparing to get out of the shower. Catching me completely off guard, the door shoved opened and Phoenix appeared. "Can you hurry—?" he spoke but stopped when my eyes widened.

"Get out!" I shrieked and he immediately slammed the door, leaving me to stand there in my towel with a horrified look on my face. I scrambled out of the tub and locked the bathroom door, hurriedly getting dressed in fear of another awkward walk-in.

Once I was completely ready, I walked downstairs and saw my brother on the couch beside Phoenix, who was sitting as stiff as a board. Earlier, I had been contemplating on whether or not I should still go. I figured, I showered for this and I got dressed for this. And like Phoenix said, it's free McDonalds. I cleared my throat and Phoenix looked at me before looking away. He stood up and I realized that my brother was looking at me.

"A wild Grace appears," Leo noted and I glared at him.

"Can we go?" I muttered to Phoenix.

"Yeah," Phoenix replied quietly.

"Don't forget my fries!" my brother called as we walked towards the front door. I ignored him as I led the way out of the house.

"Look, I didn't mean to walk in—," Phoenix began once the door to the house closed.

"Don't mention it...ever," I insisted as I yanked open the door to his car.

"Fair enough," he grunted.

+ + +

We ordered our food and I expected us to come right home, but Phoenix had other things in mind. Instead of driving in the direction of my house, he drove towards a park. He pulled into the parking lot and stopped the car, turning it off and getting out. When he saw me sitting there, he motioned for me to get out of the vehicle. I opened the door. "Why are we here?" I asked him as I looked around. We used to come here as kids. This was the park where Phoenix pushed me off of the edge of the slide; I bruised my arm so badly that I couldn't sleep on it for a week.

"Because you haven't had fresh air in two days," he told me, earning a glare in response. I inhaled deeply.

"Ah, that's enough fresh air. Now get in the car and take me home," I told him. He held the McDonalds bag in his hand.

"Get out of the car, Grace," he insisted. He slowly began opening the bag. "I'm going to eat your food if you don't."

With a grunt, I grabbed our drinks, got out of the car, and followed him to a picnic table. I glared at the small children playing on the playground nearby. "We're just going to go to McDonalds," I mocked him. "And then we'll come straight home."

"I also said I was going to leave you alone forever. You didn't actually believe that, did you?" he responded as he plopped down on the bench across from me. I snatched the bag from him, watching as he checked to see which drink was his. After taking his soda, he placed mine in front of me. Meanwhile, I took my food and gave the bag back to him.

"I hoped," I muttered.

"So how are you?" he asked, earning a flat look from me.

"You know, for a supposedly silent trip, there's been a whole lot of talking," I responded.