Chapter 9: One Long Night

Christmas was so far a success. All the presents I ordered arrived first thing Christmas eve. I sat in the living room and wrapped each one up special.

Carter slept in that morning which I didn't mind at all. I wrapped his presents just in case he decided to wake up.

As I was wrapping Kaelyn's gift, I could hear Carter began to fuss. I got up from my spot on the floor and hiked upstairs.

"Oh, don't start crying. There is no need for all of that." I picked him up from his crib. I changed his dirty diaper and we went back downstairs.

Carter tore up some of the wrapping paper. "No sir!" I grabbed the paper out of his hand. "You do not do that. Not yet." He got a little upset. I handed him a few different toys. "Play with these till I finish."

Once I was finally done I went into the kitchen and made some eggs. I then cut some strawberries into finger sized food. Putting that on his plate beside his eggs. I sat the food at the table and went to get Carter.

"It's time to eat. I'm sure you're hungry." I sat him down in the highchair. I placed a few pieces of egg and strawberries down on the tray. He quickly lifted up a strawberry and put it in his month.

I made myself some toast. I didn't feel like eating much. I kept handing Carter more to eat, watching him to make sure he didn't choke.

"Adriana, you do know there's a huge mess in the living room and we haven't even opened presents yet."

"I mean seriously girl. Can't you keep this house clean for a few day while we are gone."

"Guys! Be nice. She has been taking care of Carter and she got us all these presents!"

I pick up a strawberry covered Carter and walked into the living room to find Sam, Chase, and Kayla.

"I was wrapping presents when Carter woke up. Once I finished, we went to eat. I didn't have time to clean up before someone threw another fit." I tickled Carter. "He was getting hungry so I had to prioritize.

"Girl we are just messing with you, but dang. Are all these presents for us?" Kayla asked running her hand across one of Carter's gifts.

"Not all of them. That one is Carter's and all those over there are yalls. The rest are for tomorrow." She looked at me strange.

"Who are they for if they aren't for us?" She asked.

"The Thompson's. I am going over there tomorrow so I got them a few presents."

"Oh okay then. Well when can we open the presents?" She asked.

"Hold on. I want to see if Mom and Dad are coming home first." I told her.

I placed Carter on the floor, grabbed my phone and walked outside. I went to my contacts and went down to dad's number. Hitting the call button and putting to phone to my ear. It rang three times. "This is Robert Lain. I can't come to the phone right now, please leave a message and I will get back with you as soon as I can. Thank you." I hung up and called my Mom.

It went straight to voicemail. "This is Barbara Lain. Sorry I can't come to the phone right now. I am spending time with my family this Christmas. Leave a message and I will call back as soon as get back to the office. Thanks." I hung up, throwing my phone on the kitchen table

"Spending time with the family my butt. I don't see you here with us Mom. Where are you Mom? Oh wait! That's right, you are here. You are with your other family. The one that should be work but no, is your baby. You should be here with us, taking care of us. Not your stupid job. I'm not the mom in the house. I shouldn't be buying groceries, paying bills, taking care of Carter. That is your job Mom!" I continued yelling. I was just so frustrated. I'm not just mad at my Mom, I'm mad at my Dad too. It's Carter's first Christmas and they will be missing it.