PART TWO~CHAPTER : 26

♪♫••═════ PART TWO~CHAPTER : 26  ═════••♬ ♭

 The drive took over an hour, much of it in traffic due to not traveling in that perfect window of time between rush hour and lunch hour. Soon, we were driving up the coast, and I caught a glimpse of the ocean between homes, or when the road inclined higher up the mountainside than the rooftops.

“Little brother! Are you ever not late?!” Upon our arrival, his sister berated as she hugged him. Then, turning her wide smile to me, she addressed me just for a second. “First work order for you. Jacks. On time!”

“Good luck with that. She totally made us late today.” Jack pulled one of his smirks and still had leftover heat in his eyes when he met my abashed glare.

“Ugh,” Meg let out a sound of disgust and renegged, “First order of business. Teach Jacks not to share deets!” But like Jack's parents, her main focus was Tristan and she dropped to her knees. “I've been dying to meet you! How are you liking California?!”

Meg, as in her photos, was indeed a female version of Jack, the only difference in her coloring was her startling blue eyes. The same eyes that their mother had.

Jules Loren greeted me with a friendly hug and patiently waited for Meg to peel herself off Jack, before wrapping her, six-foot plus, son in a hug, then joined in the banter with Tristan.

This was obviously one of the large family affairs Jack had mentioned. Besides his sister and parents, there were aunts, uncles, cousins, a niece and a nephew. A mouthwatering aroma wafted from the deck where most of the adults were visiting.

Meg's home was directly on the beach, and after being introduced around, I stood admiring the view and watching Jack introduce Tristan to his cousins. I worried when one of the girls pointed at the crutch as she said something, but Jack said something back, and they all laughed including Tristan.

Tristan was a natural with the skimboard. Jack held it with his foot as the our son would race to it then toss his crutch aside. While I watched, Candace materialized beside me.

“Rough week?”

“It's been okay.” I replied, not really snapping to the older woman's reference.

“Good. You have to keep a spine to live in the public eye.”

Realizing that the other woman was speaking specifically of the drop party debacle, I curved a tight grin.

Jack and one of his cousins continued supervising the smaller children skimboarding, and his Uncle Marc occasionally yelled pointers from the deck. Meg paddled a surfboard out and rode a wave back in.

“Listen, Randi and I were talking yesterday,” Candace paused when Meg's husband insisted we have a taste from the grill, then resumed once his attention turned to the next possible culinary tester. “Have you ever considered modeling?”

I was astounded when Jack accepted the board from his sister and began to make his way beyond the break. But Candace's question was even more surprising, and I turned my full attention on Candace.

“Modeling what?” My suspicion seemed well founded given both Randi and Candace's careers.

The other woman merely smiled in answer before expanding on the idea, and I riveted my eyes back to the ocean not wanting to miss Jack surfing. Sure enough, he rose to a crouch then stood and glided in.

Candace, waited until Jack was back on the sand and elaborated, “You have the perfect figure, and they are always looking for new talent.”

I almost laughed at wearing underwear in front of a camera being considered a talent, but quickly caught myself and drawled instead, “Are you suggesting I compete with the lingerie model by becoming a lingerie model?”