Voluntary Apnea

-Stiles

"You know, they say that when you're drowning, you don't inhale until right before you blackout." I said as I fixed my lacrosse mitt in the counselor's office. "Voluntary Apnea. It's like fighting the instinct to let any water in until you feel like you're head's exploding." I said. "But it's like once you let it in, it's stops hurting. It's not scary anymore, it's peaceful." I ended. "Are you saying you hope Matt found some peace in his last moments?" She asked me. I sighed. "I don't feel sorry for him." I said. "Can you feel sorry for the 9 year old Matt that sadly drowned?" She asked. "Just because a bunch of assholes drowned him in a pool doesn't give him the right to kill them off one by one." I said. "And my dad told me they found a ton of pictures of Allison on his computer." I added. "I just feel like there's tension between everyone now. " I said. "Have you talked to the McCalls?" She asked me. "Not really since that night. They've got their own problems to deal with though. Just wish I could help." I said. "Well if you're drowning, and you're trying to keep your mouth closed until that very last moment, what if you chose not to let your mouth open? To not let any water in?" She asked. "You can't . It's a reflex." I said. "well if you hold off until that reflex kicks in, there's more time correct?" She said. "Not a lot." I said. "But more time to fight your way to get to the surface." She said. "Yeah I guess." I said. "More time to be saved." She said. "More time to be in pain. Remember your head's exploding." I said. "If it's about survival, isn't a little pain worth it?" She asked. 'What if it just gets worse? What if it's agony and pain now, and hell afterwards?" I asked. "Then think about something President Churchill once said; If you're going through hell, keep on going." She said.

-Riley

Scott, Sam and I were at the clinic. Scott told me about his run in with Gerard earlier this morning and I told him i saw what he did to Matt. We heard the door bell ring. "Would one of you go see who it is?" Deaton asked. Before Scott moved, all of the dogs started barking like crazy. We all went and standing there was Isaac. Deaton opened the little door and allowed Isaac to come in. We stood around the dog on the operating table. "Why does it smell like that?" Isaac asked. Deaton chuckled. "What?" Isaac laughed. "The boys said the same thing to me a few months ago." He said. "One day they could tell which animals were and weren't getting better." He said. "He isn't getting better is he?" Isaac asked. we shook our heads. "It's cancer?" he asked. "It has a certain smell doesn't it?" Deaton asked. We nodded. "Come here Isaac." Deaton said. "You're aware of your new abilities. Ever wonder if they could help others?" He asked. "Let me see your hand." I said to Isaac. I led his hand to the dog. He looked down at his hand and saw his veins turn black. He gasped. "What did I do to him?" He asked. "You took some of his pain away Isaac." Scott said. "Only a little, but sometimes, a little can make a pretty big difference." Deaton said. Isaac cried. "It's okay. First time we did it, we cried too." Sam said. Isaac laughed. Maybe this is something good.

"Boyd and Erica are leaving tonight." Isaac said. ever since earlier, Isaac hasn't really left my side. "During the game." He added. "Why are you telling me?" Scott asked. "I'm asking for some sort of advice." Isaac said. "Why from us?" Scott asked. "Because I trust you three." He answered. "Why?" Sam asked. "Because you three always seem to want to do whatever is right." He said. "We usually have no idea what we're doing." I said. "Actually, I always have no idea what I'm doing but that's okay." Scott said. "Well what are you doing now?" Isaac asked. "Well. we're not going anywhere." Scott said. "We have too many people here who need us." I said. "Well I guess that makes me lucky because I have no one." Isaac said. he left and I felt a nagging at the back of my throat. The same nagging feeling I had about Danny, and Derek, and Cole.

It was time for the game. Scott found Sam and I and told us what Jackson warned Danny about. Coach went on and gave his speech. I saw my mom and gave her a bear hug. I stood with her and Stiles. "What the hell is he talking about?" She asked. "He does this every single year." Stiles said. "Seriously?" She asked. Coach was giving the independence day speech to lacrosse players. Apparently, Scott wasn't playing tonight.

Stiles, Scott, Sam and I were sitting on the bench. "Is your dad coming tonight?" Scott asked Stiles. "He's already here. He's sitting with your mom." He said. "Have any of you seen Allison?" Scott asked. I shook my head no. "Not yet. Have any of you seen Lydia?" Stiles asked. I shook my head no again. "Do you know what's going on?" He asked. Scott exhaled. "No not yet." He said. "It's going to be bad isn't it? Like it always is." Stiles said. "That's what it looks like." Scott said. "We can't just give up. We have to do something." I said. "Riley, there's nothing we can do. Gerard had coach bench all of us." Sam said. Stiles sighed. I looked at him and he had tears in his eyes. "The other night, seeing my dad get knocked out by Matt and me being useless, it sucked because I want to help. But I can't do the things you three can do." Stiles said. "It's okay Stiles. " Scott said. " You're Stiles and that's enough for me." I said. "We're losing." He said. "What the hell do you mean? The game hasn't even started." coach said behind us. "Put your helmet on and get out there. You're taking Greenberg's place." He said. "What?" Stiles said shocked.

"My son is on the field!" I heard from behind us. We turned around to see the cheering coming from Sheriff Stilinski. We giggled. "Boys, can you hear me?" We heard. We looked up to see the voice coming from the snake known as Gerard. "You can. That's good. So listen closely, because this game is about to get very interesting." He said. "What does that mean?" I asked Sam. "I don't know." He said. "Let's put a real clock on this game boys. You have until the last 30 seconds to give me Derek and if not, Jackson's going to kill someone. It's up to you, but you will help me take Derek out." Gerard said.

It was sad to say that Stiles was getting murdered out there. It was a time out and we three stood up. "Sit down boys." Coach said. "Coach we're dying out there!" Scott said. "I'm aware. Stay seated." Coach said. Isaac came and sat by me. "You came to help?" Scott said. "Actually, I came to win." Isaac said as he smiled. I hugged Isaac. "By the way, you do have someone. You have me Isaac." I whispered in his ear. I felt his evil glare on us. I turned to see Gerard looking at us. Alex came behind me. "Why aren't you on the field stopping Jackson?" He asked me. "Your grandfather." I said. "Where's Allison?" I asked him. "I don't know. Before I left her and my dad were in the basement talking about something." He said. I nodded. "You should leave. Before your grandpa threatens to kill me again." I said. "So do any of you have a plan?" Isaac asked. "No not yet. Right now it's keep Jackson from killing everyone." Sam said. "We have to make it so coach has no choice but to put one of you three in." Isaac said. "He has a bench full of guys to put on the field before any of us." I said. We all looked at Isaac. "Can you do it so that no one goes to the hospital?" Scott asked him. "I can only try." He said.

Isaac got on the field and it seemed like one by one, the guys were dropping like flies.

Jackson hit Isaac and paralyzed him. Stupid toxin. "Scott, you're in." Coach said. "Good luck and be careful Scott." I said.

I heard the unsheathing of a sword. I looked around and saw nothing but I remembered that I've heard it before; the same night Gerard killed that Omega. "Sam, Scott, Isaac's in trouble." I said. We ran to the locker room and what do you know, Gerard was there, with his sword, pointed at Isaac. "You know, you're just as sick and twisted as Kate. Killing teenagers and threatening war." I said as I emerged from the shadows. I had an arrow in my hand, incase I needed to stab someone. Scott and Sam appeared in the mirror behind Isaac. We took down the hunters and Gerard seemed to slip away. "Where'd he go?" Scott asked. We made our way outside through a cheering crowd. I looked at the scoreboard. "Scott, it's counting down." I said. We looked for Jackson. "There!" Scott pointed out. The buzzer rang. "Nothing happened." Sam said. The lights started going out. "Sam, go for Mom, Sheriff Stilinski, and Lydia. Scott, cover Jackson. I'll go for Stiles." I said. Using our nighteyes, we found our way through the dark. Everyone was running and screaming. "Boys! Where are you?" I heard my mom scream. I saw it, someone was on the ground. "Someone's down on the field." My mom said as she found us. The lights came back on. We started towards the downed body. It was #37, Jackson Whittemore. Lydia followed us. My mom leaned down to listen to his heartbeat. ''He isn't breathing. No pulse either." She said. They lifted up his jersey and it revealed puncture wounds. "He did that to himself? Look at his claws." Isaac said. But something else was off; Stiles was missing.

Derek came by after the game and told me Peter told him something important to us; Peter knows how to save Jackson.