The Boy Next Door Owes Me Oreos.(33)

"This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." Devon stated, clanking her glass full of banana strawberry smoothie against Abel's and he smiled, accepting her gesture.

"With who? Me or my Mom?" He asked, laughing. It made me really happy that Devon liked Abel too, not that I was scared. Abel's Mom had made us smoothies which we happily drank while lounging on his living room floor, enjoying the air conditioning coming from the close kitchen. The house decor, empty and everything in position did not go unnoticed with Devon but she didn't say anything about it, thankfully.

"Oh, that is a tough one but if you can make smoothies as well as your Mom..." I laughed loudly at Devon and it was then I realized how much I had missed her. She kept everything running, kept everyone laughing like always. She was like life of the party while I liked blending into the background until I was on the field. Everyone in New Hampshire found it so weird that we were friends, because we were honestly complete opposites but there's a saying about that.

"This one has a mouth on her." Abel's Mom pointed out with a chuckle, as she walked to the stairs. Devon smiled sweetly.

"You have become my new favorite friends mom, my OLD ONE," Devon looked at me sourly, "refused to take me to get my belly button pierced."

"Do you have the money?" she asked, to which Devon nodded. "then why not all she would have to do is pretend to be your mom."

"That's what I said!" Devon insisted sitting up right. "But she was all like 'you're mom would kill me.'"

"Don't show her?"

"EXACTLY!" Devon agreed wholeheartedly. "See Sylvia? I'm not the only one who think this way. You're just overprotective."

"Or you both are insane.." Abel proposed, eying me curiously. "You sure she's your best friend? You guys act nothing alike."

"I know." I groaned. "I second guess this all the time." Even saying it jokingly resulted in a light slap to the arm.

"If you want I'll take you, I've got nothing better to do with my time." She offered, and even though she looked sickly and frail, and I was terrified that leaving this house would cause her pain I could tell she really meant it, so did Devon and Abel. Immediately Devon jumped up from the floor excitedly.

“Really? Like right now?!” Devon asked, bouncing up and down, Abel's Mom nodded with a smile.

“Sure. I'm actually friends with the Sun and Moon place near the high school.” She explained and Abel sat up.

“Are you sure you want to do this Mom? It's really hot outside and you couldn't even keep down your--”

“Oh hush. Let the girl live, just 'cuz I can't.” I flinched at her words, but Abel didn't even react. Devon seemed to be completely oblivious to anything besides the fact that she was finally getting her belly button pierced and when we all climbed into the car, surprisingly Abel sat in the back with me and let Devon ride shotgun with his Mom. I just watched him silently, wondering intensely what was going on in his head.

My Uncle had never made comments like that about his illness, and if he did I don't think he did it in front of his children or wife. I didn't know how to continue holding a conversation with her because I was so thrown back, she disregarded her life immediately like it wouldn't even phase her if she did actually die from her breast cancer.

I didn't know how Abel felt about that, but I knew it wasn't anything good.

It wasn't that far of a travel, and I was glad to see that the soccer field was empty by now as we drove by the school. It was five minutes past the school, there was a tattoo parlor that I had never noticed before. Devon was giddy as we walked in, and the guy behind the counter said hello immediately. This man was big, incredibly tanned, and had tattoos and piercings everywhere. His ears were gauged big enough to fit a silver dollar in his ear lobes and I was shocked this man actually knew Sarah.

“Hey Big Brother, are you busy right now?” Sarah asked, and the guy shrugged. My heart stopped with she called him her brother, they looked like people from two completely different worlds let alone not related at all.

“Hah, not really. Why? Finally want your tongue pierced Abel?” The guy smirked, and I slunk back further into the back behind Abel. Devon didn't seem to be shy at all as she ran to the rows of earrings and pipes, she stood out awkwardly against the posters and tattoo designs that decorated the walls.

“Not even close.” Abel laughed.

“Naw, my friend over there wants her belly button pierced, she has the money.” Sarah smiled as her brother walked around the counter. The rest of the store was empty besides us and he sized Devon up.

“We're not related to her are we?” He asked, and Devon spun to give him a pleading look.

“Nope.” Sarah said flatly.

“Alright, lets head back.”

***

“I could do a two for one... you know what I mean?” Bill asked, Bill being the tattoo parlor owner and Sarah's brother. He kept trying to persuade me to get my belly button pierced as he swabbed up Devon, and I adamantly said no. “It could be a best friend thing...”

“I don't even have money to get that done, even then, no thanks.” I didn't want to offend him, because he was family but still, no means no.

“Is it bad that I would totally pay for you to get it?” Abel asked, with a defined smirk on his face as he grabbed at my hips making me jump up about ten feet.

“Yes! It's bad!” I insisted, leaving the parlor room so I wouldn't have to watch the needle go in Devon's skin. Once again, I didn't want to be offensive but this place was dirty. All the posters promoting pot smoking, and the smell of so many different herbs burned my nose.

“I was just kidding Sylvia.” Abel stated, following me out of the room and into the lobby. He led me to the couch, where we sat listening to Devon's squeals. “What is she? Dying in there?”

“No, she's incredibly ticklish... everywhere.” I rolled my eyes, I knew too much about Devon for my own good but at least Abel found this hilarious. We waited patiently for them to finish up, because I really didn't think it would take forever to get anything pierced.

“Hurry up! If you keep Mum in here any longer she'll want another tattoo!” Abel yelled, ten minutes later, right before they emerged from the room.

“Another?” I whispered.

“You don't want to know where the others are...” Abel warned me before standing up and giving me a helping hand. Immediately Devon rushed up with her shirt up proudly showing off the little stud that was now in bedded in her. I winced in pain for her.

“Oh don't be such a baby, it barely hurt.” Devon said, staring at her tummy happily.

“Yeah, she laughed more than anything.” Bill pointed out before walking to the counter. “You sure you don't want yours done?” He asked me one last time before I just stared at him.

“Mhm.”

Hi, I know this is short and completely late but I have massive family problems at the moment. I tried to make Sylvia and Abel have a cute moment ^^see?
If you guys could keep my Aunt Sue in your prayers, she's being tested for several different cancers so I've been babysetting and unable to write.

The next post will probably be the soccer game. Abel WILL be there.