Chapter 8. Salt.

The next day, after being checked over what seemed like thousands of times, the doctors let me leave. I borrowed Jackson’s iPhone to ring Grandma Rose and assure her that I was fine and that I would be home that day. But maybe that wasn’t a good idea.

“Hello?”

“Hey Grandma, it’s me Scarlet, I’m just on my way home, so I’ll be there...” i said, breathing a sigh of relief that she had picked up the phone. Grandma Rose never answers the phone.

“No child! Do not come home! Get as far away from home as you can! Quickly child!” she interrupted me, speaking quickly into the phone.

“What? Why? Grandma is there something wrong?” I asked, feeling confused and suddenly scared.

“Child, just, quickly, get away from the house as soon as you can! Please, hu...” she said into the phone firmly. But before she could finish, the call cut off.

I looked at the phone, and the message ‘Call Failed’ flashed on the screen. I looked up at Jackson.

“Something’s wrong.” I said, then sprinted towards home as fast as I could. I heard Jackson yell out for me to stop and wait a sec, but I couldn’t. I had to get to Grandma Rose, despite her chilling message and warning. I stopped as I reached the front gate and heard Jackson puffing as he caught up to me. 

“For a sixteen year old, you’re pretty fast!” he panted. I ignored him, and that was when the screams started. They were Grandma Rose’s, without a doubt, and I was chilled to the bone. Without a word, I pushed open the gate and sprinted to the door, kicking it open and gasping in horror. Everything had been destroyed, as I walked into the living room cautiously, I stopped in my tracks and stared. The leather couch had been ripped in half. I walked over to it and ran my fingers over the rough material, then heard another blood curdling scream. I yelled out “Grandma Rose!” and ran up the stairs to her room, the source of the screams. I tried to open it, but it was firmly locked. I suddenly heard footsteps and turned to see Jackson running up the stairs. 

“It’s locked.” I said, pointing to the door. 

Jackson shrugged, then out of no where, did a full round house kick at the door, making it fall to the ground with a bang, the hinges groaning as they failed to hold the door to the wall any longer.

“You’re not the only one who can kick down doors, you know.” Jackson said with a grin, I smiled at him and then brought my attention back to the situation at hand. Jackson and I walked into the room, and I had to stop myself from running back out. Grandma Rose was laying on the floor, and a black and red creature was leaning over her, a transparent blue liquid dripping from it’s mouth. The creature was one I had seen before, except only as a Shadow Angel. 

“Demon.” I hissed. 

Jackson looked at the creature, then back at me. 

“Look at the Shadow Angel...” he whispered in horror, and that was when I realized what the blue liquid was. Shadow Angel blood. The demon was sucking the life out of Grandma Rose’s Shadow Angel. 

“No!” I yelled, and ran at the demon, pushing it away from the dying creature. I gasped in surprise as I realized that I could touch it, that my hands wouldn’t go through it. As I thought this, I watched in terror as the demon rose, hissing at me angrily. 

“Puny humans. You do not know what is coming for you. Once we have destroyed the Shadow Angel race, we will inhabit your soulless bodies and Hell will rise onto Earth’s surface.” it growled at me angrily. As it said this, it finished it’s meal, and sunk into Grandma Rose’s unconscious body. She then stood up, turned her head towards me, and opened her eyes. Her fully black eyes. 

“Would you fight your own Grandmother, Scarlet? she hissed, the demon’s voice coming from her mouth. I looked over at Jackson desperately and he mouthed to me one word. Salt. Of course, Chris had told me a little about how salt could kill a demon. I mouthed three words to him. Run to kitchen. He nodded and I turned to the demon. 

“Well, Mr. I’m So Evil, who’s orders are you following? Satan? Or should I say Lucifer?” I laughed, motioning for Jackson to run downstairs and get the salt. He nodded and ran.

“I am one of Satan’s many sons. I give out the instructions.” he said, proudly puffing out his chest. 

“Really? Well, he must be proud!” I said, trying to buy me a little time. 

“No, Father does not. He does not know how hard it is to get his plan to succeed.” he muttered shaking his head sadly. 

“So, what is your plan?” I asked curiously, then realized, as the demon stared at me icily, that I may have pushed the conversation too far. I had. 

“That information is not for your ears puny human. Now you must die.”