Chapter 7. Forever.

“Scarlet. Scarlet. Scarlet!” a voice called, getting louder and louder. Suddenly it was too much and I yelled out “What!” and sat up quickly. Jackson looked at me, startled, and let go of my hand that he had been holding.

“Well, that worked.” he said with a smirk. 

“Wha... where am I?” I said, looking around, confused. Jackson looked at me, concerned.

“Scarlet, don’t you remember? You’re at the hospital, and we were about to...” he trailed off, looking at the ground, his face burning a ruby red. I looked at him, and suddenly the memories flooded my head. Audrey, the accident, Jackson’s face the first time I saw him, the ripping sounds.... 

“Oh.” I squeaked, and slumped back on my pillow. I watched as Jackson slowly sat back down next to me, not taking his eyes from mine. 

As we both sat on the bed in an uncomfortable silence, I looked at him and took in what he really looked like. I realized that I had never seen him properly before. He was just taller than I, and wore a short sleeved T-shirt, which outlined the rippling muscles in his arms very well. His light blonde bangs flopped over his face often, and he impatiently brushed them away. 

“Scarlet, are... are you ok?” Jackson asked, looked at me, confused. I blinked, and realized that I had been staring at his face.

“Yeah, yeah I’m fine. So when am I getting out of here?” I asked, quickly changing the topic. Jackson stood up, and looked at my charts, then looked up at me and grinned. 

“Apparently, tomorrow. Your blood pressure and heart rate have been fine, they just want to check you over one more time to confirm you’re ok.” he chuckled with happiness and sat back down, grinning at me. Suddenly, a thought dawned on me. 

“Then what?” I whispered. He looked at me, the grin fading from his face.  

“Huh?” he said, confused.

“What do we do from there? Go our separate ways?” I whispered, unable to look at him.

Jackson gently moved my face up until I was gazing into his eyes.

“You know,” he whispered, “I actually don’t think I can leave you. I love you too much.”

I listened as the heart monitor gave out a long, drawn out beep. Jackson chuckled. 

“Guess I should stop doing that.” 

“You, you would stay? With me? I don’t know how long you would stay for but...” I whispered. 

“Forever.” he interrupted firmly, and pressed his lips against mine. I closed my eyes as two bodies melted into one.